RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver randomly loses power and then is completely dead until a full power drain??

Azza564

Hi All

I have a Gen 8 Microserver and I seem to be having a really annoying issue whereby it will randomly lose power.  Once the power is lost, the server will not allow me to power back on (as if there is no power cable in it), ILO completely dead too.

In order to bring the server back to life, I need to pull the power cable out and leave for a few hour then plug back in.

ILO doesn't seem to be logging anything between the times that power is lost, see attached image.

I have gone through with the latest SPP and all firmware is up to date.

Once power has been restore to the server, ILO is reporting that all system health is good.

Has anyone else had the same or similar issues?

Thanks.

PowerRestored.JPG

ilosysfw.JPG

ilolog.JPG

I have yes, tried different power cables and wall sockets as well as various surge protected extension cables.

What is the machine doing when it dies, anything specific, have you left it sat there in the BIOS to see if its something in the OS?

Plug just the power and monitor into it, leave it sat there in the BIOS and see what it does.

the machine isn't doing anything specific, just sat there idle when it dies.

I will give it a go sat on the BIOS, the only annoying thing is that it can take anywhere up to 2 weeks for the issue to reproduce.  I will keep you posted, thank you for the assistance so far.

2 weeks, usually a PSU issue will surface before that, IME anyway.

so got an update...

I left the server in standby and the issue has happened...

This morning I noticed that the normal "orange" standby light was no longer on... then i tried to turn on the server and no luck.

It's going to need unplugging and a power drain again although this does rule out OS and overheating. This makes me think that it's either going to be power supply or mainboard, do either of you know if you can still get the mainboards for these servers?