RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

UPS

joem

What UPS software is best on a Home Server? I am going to buy a couple of UPSs and am wondering if I am restricted to the model of UPS and software. Thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• jeffla

• ikon

• JediTim

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been using Grid Junction for a while...ever since I had the WHS turn off suddenly on me. I like the idea that during the power fluctiations I receive the WHS receives a steady supply of power and I can review the report for any power changes. The WHS also has powered down for me upon a power loss while I wasn't home which is the best part...I leave the WHS on 24/7 and prefer the thought that I don't need to be there in the event of a power loss.

A lot of people are using Grid Junction. I use it and recommend it. My UPS is an APC model. Check out the link, they have a list of UPS models that are known to work with the add-in.

It is the only one to use in my opinion as it is the only one that is an add in.

• 1 month later...

I was over at Homeserverland and found out that there will be an updated release for WHS V1, version 1.6 and they are working on a brand new version for WHS 2011.

See this thread...

You can use the native UPS support in WHS 2011 to get by. Do not install the garbage that came with your UPS. The native windows stuff works very well. When Grid Junction releases the official version we can that but in the meantime use the native support.

You can use the native UPS support in WHS 2011 to get by. Do not install the garbage that came with your UPS. The native windows stuff works very well. When Grid Junction releases the official version we can that but in the meantime use the native support.

That is what I plan on doing...received all of the new computer parts except for one piece which should arrive tomorrow. I'll be pretty busy next week while on vacation.

I started playing with the native UPS support in W7 today. I am not very impressed. It may work well, but it is an eye sore. I miss the visually appeasing software of my UPS but I don't want to install it. Never happy.