RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore entire disk (multiple volumes)

maxstacks

Help

WHS ver 1

Win 7 workstation

The time has come to use the WHS ver 1 restore CD. I must get my system back soon.

I have backed up my system every night with no problems. My 300 gig raptor system disk failed this morning.

I must restore from WHS the entire drive c which has

system reserverd (100Meg)

win 7 main partition (60 Gig)

win 7 backup partition (60gig)

I have replaced the disk but I can't see how to restore all three partitions. WHS says it will wipe out any exsisting partitions on the new disk so how can I restore three partitions.

any help would be mightily appreciated. I'm stuck

Thanks

Have you tried it? I'd restore the main partition first. Then try the 2nd one. (I don't know that it will work that way, just saying it's worth trying).

Hmmm, pcdoc must know this, but, if you were including all 3 partitions in the backup I would think Restore would automatically restore all 3.

Yes you would think there would be a way to do that but no you can not do that.

I suspect you have to partition the drive before you can restore multiple volumes which is not my understanding of WHS restore.

Have you tried it? I'd restore the main partition first. Then try the 2nd one. (I don't know that it will work that way, just saying it's worth trying).

Ah thanks but I do not think you have done this before because you would then know that one restore wipes out the previous restore. It's very frustrating

Yes you would think there would be a way to do that but no you can not do that.

So, if you pick a backup that includes multiple partitions it doesn't auto-create the partitions on the new disk and restore the data?

Disk Management. Create the partitions you want, then assign backups to appropriate partitions. That's how I've done it. You can access Disk Management in the middle of the restore process.

Disk Management. Create the partitions you want, then assign backups to appropriate partitions. That's how I've done it. You can access Disk Management in the middle of the restore process.

Yes I know now. Pity WHS restore doesn't have a restore entire disk ability.

...and of course if you make the partition too small by even the smallest amount restore will fail. Cumbersome.

Yes I know now. Pity WHS restore doesn't have a restore entire disk ability.

...and of course if you make the partition too small by even the smallest amount restore will fail. Cumbersome.

Were you successful? Are you back up and running?

Were you successful? Are you back up and running?

Ok. I have restored my system. It wasn't as smooth as most users think or MS would have you believe.

Real world restore

1. There is no restore 'entire drive' option.

2 - You can't take a fresh un-formatted drive and let WHS re-image it. It simply does not see it. Of course WHS does not tell you this until you have gone through the recovery disk boot up, login etc etc (about 8-10 minutes wasted time)

3 - You can't format the drive as one volume and expect WHS to restore backed up volumes to their original vol size leaving space for more volums. Example I backed up the 100 meg system partition. When I first restored it to my replacement drive it simply used all my fresh 160 Gig raptor for the 100 meg partition. no room for anything else. Thanks WHS

4 - You can't select more than one volume to restore and let WHS do the disk management. That would be far to easy.

5. If you do disk partitioning to make the required volumes you had better be sure you know the exact size of the partition WHS will not restore to a smaller partition regardless of how much data is on the restore volume. Miss by as little as 1 meg and your SOL and it's do over time.

All in all WHS restore works but there is little that is automatic. I had to sit in front of the system all day to get it back. I got it back and many would say well done but my after today my WHS backup days are over. I'm looking for other options.