RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do you install WHS 2011 alongside V1

edamiga1

I have downloaded and installed WHS 2011, but am wanting to get some input on how to set this up in parallel with V1. I want to keep everything on V1 for now and keep the backups and web access fully functional for this.

The question I have is can you set up WHS 2011 and access it in parallel with V1.

The minimal requirement I have is that I can access the media streaming capabilites from the web. I want to basically access this functionality from the web and start playing around with it.

The next thing I want to do is to have the client connector working on my desktop PC in parallel with my V1 connector. I know there were some hoops you had to jump through to get this to work, and was not sure if this is still the case for 2011 RC.

Ideally I can run both in parallel, fully functional to test it out fully and get used to it. Once the RTM happens I would then begin to move over all my data, but keep everything on V1 until then.

Any and all help is appreciated.

The trickiest part is remote access. Do you need it on both? Can you use Mesh for one of them?

You can have them both going at the same time, with both connectors installed on each client PC. They won't conflict, other than the remote access. You can get around that by hacking it, but I would probably recommend against that as WHS doesn't generally work well with things working outside what it is expecting (such as port 4125 for remote access).

The trickiest part is remote access. Do you need it on both? Can you use Mesh for one of them?

You can have them both going at the same time, with both connectors installed on each client PC. They won't conflict, other than the remote access. You can get around that by hacking it, but I would probably recommend against that as WHS doesn't generally work well with things working outside what it is expecting (such as port 4125 for remote access).

You be able to remote access either box regardless whether the Client Connector was installed or not, at least from inside the LAN. External access would be dependent on port forwarding rules and some IIS hacks for the second box.

I have downloaded and installed WHS 2011, but am wanting to get some input on how to set this up in parallel with V1. I want to keep everything on V1 for now and keep the backups and web access fully functional for this.

The question I have is can you set up WHS 2011 and access it in parallel with V1.

The minimal requirement I have is that I can access the media streaming capabilites from the web. I want to basically access this functionality from the web and start playing around with it.

The next thing I want to do is to have the client connector working on my desktop PC in parallel with my V1 connector. I know there were some hoops you had to jump through to get this to work, and was not sure if this is still the case for 2011 RC.

Ideally I can run both in parallel, fully functional to test it out fully and get used to it. Once the RTM happens I would then begin to move over all my data, but keep everything on V1 until then.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Doing a similar thing. Here is what I suggest.

1. Disable remote access to V1 and experiment with 2011. It is a quick change to alter your port forwarding and that way you can experiment.

2. You do not really need to have the connector software installed at all to take full advantage of 2011. The only reason for it is a quick launch to shares and remote destop both of which can be handled with a desktop shortcut during the trial period. As long as the connector is running on V1 you will get your backups which is something you do not want to mess with.

I have been running this way since release and it all has been working great. I did install the connector on one system just to see how it worked and to test the backup but the rest of my systems stayed on V1.

To run both connectors at the same time, you have to make sure your NOT running the latest Windows Update KB981089 on your v1 box. This will stop you from reinstalling the WHS connector software after installing the WHS2011 connector.

To start off, you must uninstall the WHS connector because when your setting up WHS2011 and it's connector, it will check to see if your connectoed to an other server, since you uninstalled the WHS connector, you are safe to continue and not get the warning.

Once you have the WHS2011 connector installed,you reinstall the WHS connector. The pre-KB981089 version does not check to see if you are connected to a server like the the WHS2011 connector does, however the KB981089 version does check, so you don't want that.

I hope this makes sence.

Doing a similar thing. Here is what I suggest.

1. Disable remote access to V1 and experiment with 2011. It is a quick change to alter your port forwarding and that way you can experiment.

2. You do not really need to have the connector software installed at all to take full advantage of 2011. The only reason for it is a quick launch to shares and remote destop both of which can be handled with a desktop shortcut during the trial period. As long as the connector is running on V1 you will get your backups which is something you do not want to mess with.

I have been running this way since release and it all has been working great. I did install the connector on one system just to see how it worked and to test the backup but the rest of my systems stayed on V1.

Are you saying that the connector for v2 doesn't need to be installed on a computer in order to back it up?

I got everything working, but just put the client on a vm Windows 7 I use as my media server.

I will wait for the final release prior to converting all of my machines over to this one, but I will move as soon as it is RTM. The benefits are too significant.

Now that I am using it I continue to have less reasons to stay with WHS V1. The new client is so much cleaner. The only thing that will keep V1 running with mymovies, but that appears to be getting an add in shortly after release.

Are you saying that the connector for v2 doesn't need to be installed on a computer in order to back it up?

No, I meant that you do not need the connector to use the server, ie; access your shares, stream, etc.