RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP EX485 additional storage

cskenney

My HP MediaSmart EX485 WHS currently contains 4 drives. I can upgrade a few of them to 2.0TB, but what do people recommend for adding additional storage capability to this system? Remember, the EX485 eSATA port is not able to work with port multiplier external enclosures. Thought for additional storage capacity?

How much extra storage do you need? Seems like 8TB is the max for most of the OEM systems. I personally don't like external drives for 24/7 use; for backups is fine though.

If you need 10TB+ you are probably best off doing a frankenbuild and getting a mobo with 8 SATA ports (ex. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128406) and a case that will hold as many drives (ex. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811517004)

Another though considering the price of external units is to simply add antoher server. Media center will pull from from a variety of locations and your could build a super server that has 6-10 drives. Just an alternate thought as I also do not like external devices.

I like the idea of adding a 2nd server. Any way you look at it I need something to hold the drives plus the cost of the drives. Maybe I will end up with 2x EX485's as HP tries to clean out the old inventory!

I really like the B.A. Server idea, but that will be a hard sell with the wife. Maybe if I build it inside of a de-humidifier cabinet she won't notice it in the basement and all the fan noise won't seem unusual, either. Choices....

If you need large amounts of storage I would suggest going with what other members suggest, get a separate HP WHS. Not only will this expand your storage but you will be able to divide your data. I use two Home Servers one for family data and the second one is the pure media server with HD-OTA recordings, my own ripped DVDs with cover flow to the Xbox360. I would go with two Windows Home Servers.