RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do you get RemoteFX 3D working on HyperV core

edamiga1

I just installed SP1 for my W2K8 Core installation and went to set up the RemoteFX 3D and it is grayed out. I have been waiting on this feature in the hopes that it could provide some level of softsled for me.

I looked and there does not appear to be a simple way to get this setup. Has anyone done this and how do you get it to work?

You will need to add the role to the server. However, while adding the RemoteFX role to the server removed the grayed out issue, I still have not been able to get this working, although I also haven't spent much time on it. If you get it working, please report back.

• 1 month later...

According to this post on MS, RemoteFX is not supported on Server Core. You'd either need to install the full "fat" version of Windows Server and add the Hyper-V role and RemoteFX feature, or you need to reinstall using the separate bare-metal Hyper-V install...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/964902c4-47af-49f4-9899-1cf91ed95b01

I was surprised how "un-fat" the full version is, at least from a ram perspective. I tried to get RemoteFX to work, but gave up after one try and have not looked at it again. Maybe someday if I have time.

I was surprised how "un-fat" the full version is, at least from a ram perspective.

Yes, MS seems to be getting the message. Windows 2008, and even R2 are getting more componentized all the time; they're only installing features that you're going to use out of the box. I have even higher hopes that they are continuing this strategy and we should see an even slimmer base OS in Windows 8/2012...