RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Serious problems with a new build

LegoTechMan

Hi.

I hope that someone can help me with a big problem that I am having.

I am on my 3rd new PC build in the last 2 months. The first 2 builds went great. I upgrade my WHS v1 to newer hardware and I build my kids a Core i5 PC.

Now I am finally building my new PC and I am having some odd problems that I have never seen before.

In the last week I have loaded Windows twice and restored from my WHS twice for this PC trying to correct the problem. The first problem that I had seemed to do with a driver for my motherboards SATA controllers. I searched online and it seemed that there were problems. The file in question was MV91XX.SYS. It is the driver for a Marvel controller on my ASUS board. I "rolled back" the driver to the Intel driver, which is what was suggested and all seemed well. But it was not. When I would try to run programs such as IE, I would get an error that it couldn't be found. Almost everything I tried to do gave me that error.

Does anyone know anything about the Marvel 9128 SATA 6Gb/s controllers? Are they crap?

I had changed the SATA "mode" to AHCI instead of IDE in the BIOS so I thought maybe I shouldn't have done that. When I reloaded, I reset the BIOS setting and left the mode set to IDE. I also did not load the driver form the MB disk hoping that by not loading the MV91XX.SYS driver at all I would be okay.

All has been fine since I reloaded last Friday until tonight when I decided to start loading software and apply more MS updates. Now that I have done that I am getting the same weird error messages. I can restore from last nights backups, but in the long run that is really not going to do me any good. I need to figure out the problem.

I am having problems with certain programs running, even in Safe Mode. I am trying to go into the Device Manager, but I get an error that MMC (MS Management Console) cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc!! IE won't even open. The problem tonight seemed to happen when I installed an updated driver for my mouse and keyboard, but it was probably just timing since I have been installing other updates.

Specs:

CPU: Core i7-950

MB: ASUS P6X58D-E

HDD: Western Digital Blue 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s

RAM: Corsair XMS3, 12GB (6x2GB) 1600Mhz DDR3

Video: EVGA GTS450 1GB DDR5

Other:

MS Comfort 5000 Keyboard/Mouse

Corsair 600T Case (Awesome case!)

Corsair 650W PSU

LG BD-R drive

I hope that someone can shed some light on my problems. I have waited a long time for this build and I am not very happy that it is not working!!!

Thanks,

John

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• pcdoc

• LegoTechMan

You should be able to install with AHCI, no problem. Going from AHCI to IDE won't throw a BSOD, but going from an install with IDE and switching to AHCI will, unless you do a registry edit before you reboot, go into BIOS and swap to AHCI. There sure are a lot of posts about that Marvell controller, but they mostly seem to be older, like more than a few months ago. It's possible you have a bad motherboard, it's possible the controller is defective, but you probably don't want to hear that. I don't have much for you except to say start testing what you can. Disconnect everything from your mobo except what you need to boot up. If you still have problems, test your memory, HDD SMART data, cables. Swap out that nice Corsair PSU. I'll bet on the memory since it seems like the problem occurs intermittently. Oh, and I just saw how much RAM you're using. See if the problem goes away if you use 3 sticks only.

You should be able to install with AHCI, no problem. Going from AHCI to IDE won't throw a BSOD, but going from an install with IDE and switching to AHCI will, unless you do a registry edit before you reboot, go into BIOS and swap to AHCI. There sure are a lot of posts about that Marvell controller, but they mostly seem to be older, like more than a few months ago. It's possible you have a bad motherboard, it's possible the controller is defective, but you probably don't want to hear that. I don't have much for you except to say start testing what you can. Disconnect everything from your mobo except what you need to boot up. If you still have problems, test your memory, HDD SMART data, cables. Swap out that nice Corsair PSU. I'll bet on the memory since it seems like the problem occurs intermittently. Oh, and I just saw how much RAM you're using. See if the problem goes away if you use 3 sticks only.

Thanks. When I went from AHCI to IDE I reinstalled Windows. The problem is not intermittent at all. It took a few days to start, but once I started using the computer it happened pretty quickly and is all of the time now. I cannot get into certain system programs at all...such as the device manager or the event viewer. They just do not work. I get the error that the program cannot be found.

I did notice that there is a new BIOS update to my MB so I am attempting to install that, but I am getting an error and it is not letting me. Once I get that installed, I will make sure that the Marvell controller has the latest driver...I found some links. And if that still doesn't work I will start swapping around components and cables.

Sounds like you have a handle on it. If still no luck, I'd try those memory things I mentioned. Basically, test components to the extent that you can so you can figure out if that mobo is going back.

Hi.

I hope that someone can help me with a big problem that I am having.

I am on my 3rd new PC build in the last 2 months. The first 2 builds went great. I upgrade my WHS v1 to newer hardware and I build my kids a Core i5 PC.

Now I am finally building my new PC and I am having some odd problems that I have never seen before.

In the last week I have loaded Windows twice and restored from my WHS twice for this PC trying to correct the problem. The first problem that I had seemed to do with a driver for my motherboards SATA controllers. I searched online and it seemed that there were problems. The file in question was MV91XX.SYS. It is the driver for a Marvel controller on my ASUS board. I "rolled back" the driver to the Intel driver, which is what was suggested and all seemed well. But it was not. When I would try to run programs such as IE, I would get an error that it couldn't be found. Almost everything I tried to do gave me that error.

Does anyone know anything about the Marvel 9128 SATA 6Gb/s controllers? Are they crap?

I had changed the SATA "mode" to AHCI instead of IDE in the BIOS so I thought maybe I shouldn't have done that. When I reloaded, I reset the BIOS setting and left the mode set to IDE. I also did not load the driver form the MB disk hoping that by not loading the MV91XX.SYS driver at all I would be okay.

All has been fine since I reloaded last Friday until tonight when I decided to start loading software and apply more MS updates. Now that I have done that I am getting the same weird error messages. I can restore from last nights backups, but in the long run that is really not going to do me any good. I need to figure out the problem.

I am having problems with certain programs running, even in Safe Mode. I am trying to go into the Device Manager, but I get an error that MMC (MS Management Console) cannot open the file C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc!! IE won't even open. The problem tonight seemed to happen when I installed an updated driver for my mouse and keyboard, but it was probably just timing since I have been installing other updates.

Specs:

CPU: Core i7-950

MB: ASUS P6X58D-E

HDD: Western Digital Blue 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s

RAM: Corsair XMS3, 12GB (6x2GB) 1600Mhz DDR3

Video: EVGA GTS450 1GB DDR5

Other:

MS Comfort 5000 Keyboard/Mouse

Corsair 600T Case (Awesome case!)

Corsair 650W PSU

LG BD-R drive

I hope that someone can shed some light on my problems. I have waited a long time for this build and I am not very happy that it is not working!!!

Thanks,

John

Here is what I would try. For starters, remove the 12 gigs of memory and only run a single bang of 3 (6Gigs), Using the intel controller only, do a clean install using AHCI and see what happens loading only the supplied mohterboard drivers. IF this works, it could be the well noted x58 memory timing issue which shows up in a bunch of different ways.

Good advice. When I do a new build I always run a RAM test overnight to make sure there aren't any problems. I don't know if that's overkill or not but it always works. Timing issues or speed problems usually show up quickly though.

Running two banks unless they are matched 6pc set is virtually impossible without slowing it down or massive timing changes in the BIOS.

Here is what I would try. For starters, remove the 12 gigs of memory and only run a single bang of 3 (6Gigs), Using the intel controller only, do a clean install using AHCI and see what happens loading only the supplied mohterboard drivers. IF this works, it could be the well noted x58 memory timing issue which shows up in a bunch of different ways.

The first time I installed Windows, I loaded the MB drivers and then let Windows install any updates that it found through Windows Update. The 2nd time, I used IDE, but I loaded all of the MB drivers except for the Marvell controller driver and it was fine...until I started loading software and applying updates.

I did buy the memory as a 12GB kit (from Newegg) so I ASSUME that the timing is okay. I was going to buy 6GB now and then upgrade later, but after listening to you guys on the BYOB podcast I realized that would not be the smart thing to do so I just bought the 12GB set.

Good advice. When I do a new build I always run a RAM test overnight to make sure there aren't any problems. I don't know if that's overkill or not but it always works. Timing issues or speed problems usually show up quickly though.

I can certainly try that...what RAM test do you recommend?

I also found a 2nd setting in my BOIS where I had to choose between AHCI and IDE. I set both to AHCI and resinstalled Windows again.

I was unsuccessful last night updating my BIOS, when I was using the ASUS update utility that is built into the BIOS it would give me an error. I ran the update from the CD that came with the MB this morning and it worked finally. That is all farther I got before I had to leave for work. Tonight I am going to make sure that all of the drivers are up to date and see what that gets me...