RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

It's been a while

Trig0r

I now have this Gen 8 sat in my desk.

I've also got a load of 8Gb sticks that I want to test.

However I can't get the bloody thing to boot from USB, I've tried one of the ports ont he front, one on the back and the internal one, and yet it still wont boot from the USB Memtest stick I've created, what am I missing?

F9 to change boot order?

Have you tried the USB on another system to confirm it is bootable?

Haha yeah not that bad, the stick does boot on my main rig, but in the Gen8 it doesnt want to know..

Ok, so I ended up not bothering with the direct memtest usb stick, but used the same method to write the ubuntu installer to the same USB stick and that boots, and the ubuntu installer usb has a memtest option so running with that instead..

Now to test the 8x8Gb sticks I have to see if they all work...

• Like 1

Yeah they all work...

Question is what do I do with it now?

It's only got the base 1610T in it, I could upgrade it to 16Gb, I have drives that could go in it, but no actual use for it at all as my old Gen 8 was replaced with the Frankenbuild and nothing I can do with a Gen8 will get close to that (3400G, 32Gb RAM)

On 4/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, Trig0r said:

Yeah they all work...

Question is what do I do with it now?

It's only got the base 1610T in it, I could upgrade it to 16Gb, I have drives that could go in it, but no actual use for it at all as my old Gen 8 was replaced with the Frankenbuild and nothing I can do with a Gen8 will get close to that (3400G, 32Gb RAM)

You can always use it as a Storage Server, they are fantastic for that!

• Like 1

I have no need for a storage server though, my Frankenbuild has all of the storage and VM power I need, plus I kinda bought an old 1RU server a while back which is fine for all my 'faffing about' stuff..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A separate Storage Server in a different box to the Hypervisor and VMs (if you use those) is great for HA! We all eventually go the Frankenbuild route 🙃