RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

P410 transfer speed (RAID)

cyberboblouth

I am still in the process of building my new PC as I move away from Microservers.  I have a P410 which I have working in this new system (option ROM fun!) but wondered if people had some CrystalMark benchmarks for speed - in particular, RAID5 using 4TB Sata drives (WD RED type)?  I only had time to run a quick one from the RAID1 I installed (2x 2TB) and that came out at 135 Mbytes/s

Transfer rate is related to sustained transfer speed of the drive and RAID type. For RAID1 the transfer rate is the same as a single drive. Your 135MB/s would seem to be about right. For a four drive RAID5, you have three data drives and one parity drive. If you add up the sustained transfer rate of the three data drives, that will give you a ballpark idea of the transfer rate of the RAID5 set. For the WD Red you are using you could see numbers around 400MB/s for a four drive RAID5.

Here is a link to some test results. If you search the MS Gen8 forum for P410 you will likely see some results as well:

It sounds like you are using the P410 in a system that is not an HPE server? You may run into issues. The HPE RAID controllers are designed for HPE servers and are expecting to see a HPE server BIOS. It may work fine for you, but just be aware.

Cheers Schoondoggy,

Yes, it's a home build PC so I had fun with an initial boot loop on the P410 - disabling the boot roms in BIOS has cured this and within Windows 10 I am using HP Smart Array Controller software to set up.

The system I built has a 2.5gbe and what I am trying to figure out is what speed I will see when transferring data to and from the unit.  At the moment I seem to saturate the Gigabit of the N40L and get 110 MBytes/s rates, as you can imagine I would like to see this improve in the new machine - when I get home I will buy another 2TB drive so that I have 3x 2TB drives for some testing a RAID5.  I will also try an SSD.  I work away so won't be home for 2 weeks and was just wondering what other people had achieved.

If you think the P410 is going to be an issue long term I was considering an LSI card

Gigabit Ethernet max transfer rate is around 125MB/s, 2.5GbE max transfer rate will be around 312MB/s.

With the drive specs you listed above, a three drive RAID5 should give you around 270MB/s.

SSD can be much faster throughput. QLC flash has issues with write performance.

Sounds like you have figured out some of the issues with the P410 in a non-HPE server. 

An LSI or Adaptec RAID card would be a good replacement.

Sounds like I could nearly saturate the 2.5gbe then, I did do a quick test:

Laptop (USB 2.5gbe) to the Desktop, single ethernet cable direct, both on NVME - Windows reported a transfer rate of 279 MBtyes/s.  So I am thinking this is the MAX I will ever see

Looking forward to doing some testing when home and will do a little write up after with results, happy to stay P410 if she works otherwise I will seek recommendations for a replacement

So looking on that auction site I did find "Adaptec RAID Controller ASR-6805T 8 Ports PCIe 2 x8 512MB + BBU Battery AFM-600C".  Coming from China for around $50 AUD - a good replacement?

• 4 weeks later...

So had more time to work with new PC.  Using the P410 on a non-HP system I have had some setup fun but running now.

My RAID1 went OK (2x 2TB), read of 200 MB/s and write 132 MB/s (this was before Cache was enabled).  Going to RAID5, the write speeds were terrible (like 40 MB/s) until I read about the cache.  It wasn't enabled on the card (yet it knew it was there) and then also needed enabling against a drive pool under cache management.  That done, read of 260 MB/s and write 200 MB/s, when reading and writing to the unit via 2.5GBe Windows reports 280 MB/s - not sure why that faster.  This is the speed I was after though, so happy.

I still need to do some more testing but it's looking good.

I also have the capacitors backup but would like the battery module instead.  I have 3D printed a module that means I can use 4x AAA NiMH - I just need the charging circuit and cable

So I did a fair bit more testing, using a 60BG ISO file.  I pretty much get saturated 2.5GBe speeds except in one condition.

When transferring via network to RAID5 array it starts at the 275 Mbytes/s but after about 14GB this drops and bounces between 50-140.  Moving the same 60GB ISO internally (NVME - RAID5) shows a consistent 240MBytes/s.  NVME to NMVE writing through 2.5GBe is always 279 MBytes/s.  So it's just the one scenario where I get slowdown