• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pcdoc

• ikon

• JediTim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks...I must have missed this a couple of weeks ago. Trying to learn everything I can prior to building a WHS 2011 production machine. Right now I am only testing without Raid.

Tim

Thanks...I must have missed this a couple of weeks ago. Trying to learn everything I can prior to building a WHS 2011 production machine. Right now I am only testing without Raid.

Tim

RAID isn't really hard; I've been using it since the early 90's. But, it has it's limitations and you need to pay attention to them, unfortunately. In fact, because of those limitations, I recently took my last RAID controller out of service; they're sitting on a shelf in their original packages.

RAID isn't really hard; I've been using it since the early 90's. But, it has it's limitations and you need to pay attention to them, unfortunately. In fact, because of those limitations, I recently took my last RAID controller out of service; they're sitting on a shelf in their original packages.

Can you fill us in on those limitations?

Can you fill us in on those limitations?

What are the limitations....I plan on using a Raid 5 for my video's and want to ensure I don't screw it up.

Guest no-control

yeah that is a bit vague.

Limitations of RAID 5 that I'm aware of:

• Smaller arrays have a higher drive cost for parity 3 drives 33%, 4 drives 25%, 5 drives 20%, 10 drives 10%
  • Large arrays take longer to rebuild
  • If the array becomes too big there's a possibility of a 2nd drive failure during rebuilding.
  • Larger the array the bigger the performance hit from writes, also the gain in reads start s to really diminish around 7-8 drives
  • Some of the above can be mitigated by using a software stripe on multiple RAID 5 arrays. RAID50 (5+0)