RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS Virtualized

mattd390

I am upgrading my WHS and would like to run it virtualized in Hyper-V. I was thinking about having a copy of Windows 7 for web browsing and other stuff as well and maybe have 2011 on there to play around with. Do you think an i3 550 is up to the task of running all three OS's at the same time? Would a i5-760 be overkill? The i3 is faster per core but I figured the extra two cores would help. Any suggestions?

I was wondering too, do I have to remotely access hyper-v? I like being able to log into my WHS without having to have my other computer on. Thanks for any help!

Once you setup the WHS, you can remote into it just like you would a physical box.

I'd say that the i5 is nice for that. Don't worry too much about the extra speed. Just make sure to get as much RAM as you can afford. Say 8GB and give 4GB to the primary OS and 2GB each to the secondaries.

Once you setup the WHS, you can remote into it just like you would a physical box.

I'd say that the i5 is nice for that. Don't worry too much about the extra speed. Just make sure to get as much RAM as you can afford. Say 8GB and give 4GB to the primary OS and 2GB each to the secondaries.

So i5 with 8GB, got it. Thanks for the reply!

Guest no-control

Actually the above info is not entirely correct. From the testing I've done. An i3-530 is plenty I'm running 2008R2, WHS, WHS2011, WMC, and SBSe all on a single 13-530 with 8gb RAM. The VMs are more speed dependent and can be threaded this means the HyperThreaded i3 can outperform the i5. As for RAM assignment 2GB for the host O/S and 1-2GB for the guest O/S is more than enough for non intensive activities. If you are using Hyper-V you can now overassign RAM now with SP1 so 4GB would be fine for 3 VMs as you described, but I would still recommend 8GB. I would also recommend using a HDD to sotre the VMs that has higher IOPS. I use a 300GB VelociRaptor, but a 2TB Caviar Black will come close.

So yes the i5-760 is overkill. My VM server specs are in my sig.

The more memory the better. One thing I make sure now is that I don't buy any motherboards with 8gig memory limits. Get as much ram as you can afford, it will be your limiting factor not the CPU in many cases.

Also, am I the only one disappointed with Hyper-V's dynamic memory? First you need to update the VM with SP1 and new integrated services, but then the list of OS's supported is VERY limited. I can't get it to work with WHS 2011 or Small Business Server Essentials. IMO it's a pretty weak response to what the competition is offering. Plus, when are they going to open this up a bit a let things other than just Windows OS's run on it (yea, I know a select few Linux OS's will run)? I finally have our IT folks at the office looking at virtualization and the first problem they run into is the limited number of OS's they can run. While we are mainly a Windows shop, we do have some Linux servers. So rather than fight Hyper-V (and why should you when there are other choices), they are trying Xenserver which can run just about anything. They also plan to test ESXi or what ever it is called.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think I am going to get the Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 motherboard with a i3 550 and 8GB of G.Skill 1333 value ram. Thanks again!

I got the server all up and running. Thanks a ton for all the help guys! I am thinking that I need to upgrade the hard drive that the vhds reside on. Right now they are on my WD ide blue drive (slow). I am trying to not spend $150 dollars on a solution. Would 2 640 GB WD blacks in raid 1 off my motherboard raid do a decent job? Any other suggestions?

Guest no-control

a better solution would be a WDVR 10k drive but they can be a bit pricey. Honestly unless you are going to RAID 0 those drives I wouldn't bother. RAID1 isn't going to do you any favors and any speed advantage of the blacks will be lost. Look for either a high density platter drive like the WD black 1 TB or larger drives or the again the VR's. If your diligent in managing the drive sizes for you VMs you could get away with an older lower end (slower) SSD in the 60-128 GB for around $100 but I wouldn't recommend it.