RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dual M.2 PCIe for SSD + Corea Accelerator

sx3

Hello,

Just bought a MSG10+. Will install TrueNAS Scale on a M2 SSD.

I'm also considering running FriGate for CCTV inside a docker. FriGate highly recomend a Corel Accelerator for AI motion detection.

Would it be possible to use a dual M.2 PCIe where one slot is used for the SSD and the other for Corel accelerator?

The MSG10+ have bifurcation I read in some threads, so I guess it should work?

M.2 Accelerator B+M key | Coral

Edited by sx3

• sx3 changed the title to Dual M.2 PCIe for SSD + Corea Accelerator

you would need a dual m.2 card with a PCIe switch chip on it. Something like this:

Dual M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter Card NVME/AHCI - Drive Adapters and Drive Converters (startech.com)

The passive dual m.2 cards do not work as the MS Gen10+ can only set bifurcation to 8+8, it would need to support 4+4+4+4: 

Microserver Gen10 Plus PCIe bifurcation support is... - Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community (hpe.com)

• Like 1

Just bear in mind that the M.2 cards run VERY hot and you will almost certainly need additional cooling to prevent issues. (I run 2 x 7mm fans on my card and its still a struggle to keep the temperatures under control in the summer months). 

Edited by GarethC
  • Like 1

@GarethC M.2's in general or SSD's? I guess the Corel Accelerator will get pretty hot aswell?

My server will sit in the basement, pretty much 20C ambiant temps around the year.

@schoondoggy Thanks, pretty high price-tag on that card. Tried look for the Lycom version in Europe but it seem to be sold out. Will try to goole tonight, but do you have more examples I can research on? :)

2 hours ago, sx3 said:

@GarethC M.2's in general or SSD's? I guess the Corel Accelerator will get pretty hot aswell?

My server will sit in the basement, pretty much 20C ambiant temps around the year.

@schoondoggy Thanks, pretty high price-tag on that card. Tried look for the Lycom version in Europe but it seem to be sold out. Will try to goole tonight, but do you have more examples I can research on? :)

The dual port NVMe card, more specifically the switch component on the card gets VERY hot, that tied together with the 2 x NVMes slotted into it which also get hot doesn't make for a happy time in a confined space. It definitely needs active cooling and unless you are willing to cut into the side of the case and have an external fan its not an easy thing to do internally (in my experience). My NVMes are under fairly constant load running multiple VMs 24x7 and with the 2 x 7mm fans running even under fairly cool conditions its a struggle to keep the drives below 50c (anything over 50c Samsung considers to be high and when they start approaching 60c I notice a drop in performance). 

Edited by GarethC
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the heads up.. :) I don't seem to have much options since MSG10+ is so slimmed down.

Guess I'll have to try it and see what happens in my environment.

Would the QNAP QM2-2P-344 be suitble? or even the 384 version?

Edited by sx3

Posted (edited)

Performance wise, I might be better off using single M.2 adapter for the NVME SSD and just use Coral on USB-stick instead alternative M.2 -> USB 3.2 adapter outside the MSG10+ enclouse?

Edited by sx3

Yes, i think a single M.2 card would be a better option to keep the temperatures down, but even that may need an internal fan.  You may possibly be able to find a card that has its own fan. 

Edited by GarethC

I've have been running the M.2 SSD for a couple of days and according to TrueNAS the maximum registred temperature is 42C I'm using a heatsink on the SSD. Peeled off all stickers before attaching the heatsink.

On a single M.2 card? Like i say the main issue i have i think is the switch component on the dual port card. Both of my NVMes also have heatsinks. 

Edited by GarethC