RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 6.7.0 not seeing external USB HDD's

itm

I've installed ESXi 6.7.0 from a HPE Custom Image. It is booting from an internal MicroSD card in the Microserver. While I see a USB controller in the device list in ESXi, it is not showing either of the two external USB hard drives which I have plugged into the ports at the back of the Microserver.

The ESXi hardware list showed two USB controllers. I have toggled passthrough on both and rebooted - they are now showing as "Active" in the Passthrough column.

Any idea how I can get ESXi to recognise these drives?

It seems that the USB drives are being detected at some level, as I can add them to guest VMs as USB devices if I edit their settings. They are not detected as disks by the guest VMs though.

???

Have you assigned the USB controllers to the VM you are using, its been a while since I've played with esxi so can't remember the exact route for this..

So I managed to resolve the problem by removing the USB 2.0 controller which has already been assigned to the VM, adding a new USB 3.0 controller, and re-adding the external drives as USB devices. The VMs now see them as disk drives.

I have no idea why the USB 2.0 controller had problems.

• Like 1