RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Problem with EX490

Jamr

I recently have had some problems with my EX490 stock. The only Add-in I have installed since it was fresh out of the box is the My Movies 1603 add-in.

Since early last week the server has stopped opening the console quickly. In fact it takes sometimes up to 30 minutes. The only way to open this console is to log into the server using remote desktop. But everything else is working fine. I have been trying to figure out this problem for 4 days now and have since been able to remove My Movies from the server but it still acts like it is sick and does not respond to my commands or takes many minutes to respond.

Yesterday while trying to open the console, I got this error for the first time saying something like "Your Homeserverconsoletab.hpsettings.dll file is bad, please uninstall the add in that is associated with this file" Huh??? I have no add-ins installed!

So here is my question, Does anyone know how to repair this file? If so can you point me somewhere to get this done?

Thanks for your help

Jamr

When you removed myMovies, did you remove MySql and all of its components? That is installation installs a couple of other pieces you may have to remove. Although I love the functionality, that is one of the most problematic add-ins I have seen awhile. Remove all the baggage stuff like anything with words sql in it and see what happens after that. Also check your event log. You do not by any chance had adminime installed do you?

When you removed myMovies, did you remove MySql and all of its components? That is installation installs a couple of other pieces you may have to remove. Although I love the functionality, that is one of the most problematic add-ins I have seen awhile. Remove all the baggage stuff like anything with words sql in it and see what happens after that. Also check your event log. You do not by any chance had adminime installed do you?

Thanks for the reply, No I forgot that you had to do that. I will try that tonight. Am I looking for programs with "SQL" in their names in the Add and Remove Progams area?

In case you need it, here's a copy of that file from my EX495. If you decide to use it, compare version numbers before you overwrite the old one. This is version 3.0.6.31970

HomeServerConsoleTab.HPSettings.dll

*Edited: fixed download link

Thanks for the reply. I did a search on the server and it turns up 0 results for this file. So unfortunately I have no idea where to even put it. Do you know the location of this file?

Thanks for all of the help. I and the friendly tech at HP have figured it out. I have to say since I did not know how to start task manager through RD to the server I could not diagnose this problem my self. Once I got task manager started (its Run/taskmgr) I was able to see Twonky hogging 99% of my CPU cycles. Once I stopped that the server begun behaving normally. The HP tech says it was probably stuck indexing a file and could not stop. Thats lousy programming if you ask me. Even the client software works now. You would think they would create a timeout or something on Twonky to prevent this.

If you start the Twonky service and notice problems later, it could be many days later in my case. Please check the task manager for whats hogging your CPU cycles up.

Thanks again for all the help, it is good to know we have people here to help.

...task manager started (its Run/taskmgr) I was able to see Twonky hogging 99% of my CPU cycles

Yes, Twonky has been a huge problem for a lot of people. Glad you were able to figure it out.

For those who don't know, there's a couple other ways to start Task Manager:

• CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
  • Right-click the task bar and select from menu