RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

is my N54L toast?

nrf

in spite of much wasted time I can't get it to boot from disk. It flashes on the screen "clearing nvram" or some such before saying it found no OS.

it will boot from USB which gives one the opportunity to waste lots of time doing things like rebuilding c drive...

any advice?

Maybe a corrupted BIOS firmware or CMOS settings? Could also be as simple as a weak CMOS battery?

Have you tried a different SATA port?

• Like 1

different port different drive different bare metal restorals...

usually you lose the clock when the coin cell battery is bad

thanks.

If it boots from USB, have you tried Ubuntu or some other OS you can run from a stick to test the hardware with?

• Thanks 1

Even the on-board SATA (not through the SAS) is not working?

I would unplug the power and remove the CMOS battery for at least a minute to reset it to factory defaults.

If that doesn't work, I'll flash it again with the same firmware.

If none of these solved the issue, then it's likely a hardware problem specific to the PCH chip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nrf said:

what kind of diagnostic are you thinking of?

Well if you can get it into an OS then there's event logs and stuff you can see as well as being able to test functionality and go from there.

I'm going to start by trying to boot from the single sata connector and go from there

thanks all.

I'd probably go down the USB boot first, if there is a controller error then booting from a connector on that controller might not give you any answers if the machine locks up or reboots, where as if you boot from USB then you are running from another controller entirely so any issues with the normal storage controller will give you timeouts, errors and so on without the machine rebooting or locking up, which would give you a better chance of being able to diagnose the issue.

IMHO of course ;)

no boot from sata port, flashed stock rom, flashed enhanced rom, still not finding operating system

note that I have done multiple bare-metal restores with no lockups or other issues, but it just doesn't want to boot from disk. leaves the light red while it tries.