RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
joem

Two Home Servers Once?

joem

I currently am running a WHS HP EX 485 on my home network for backup images, storage, etc. I just brought home an ACER WHS I was using at a business for backups. I want to use it in conjunction with my current one. Can you run two at once and do backups of one computer to each WHS? Or will your connector software only work with one WHS at a time? Or what would be a good use for two on the same network. Thanks.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Yes you can have two servers on your network as long as they have different names. Natively, you can only back up to one at a time due to the connector software. There may be hack around it that I am not aware of though. Stay tuned and if there is a hack, you will find out when diehard sees your post.

pcdoc

No problem running two. I have had as many as 4 running on the same network. Using the connector software, you can back up ot only one so you have to choose on a system by system basis. Alternatively, you can use one for the connector backup and use a third party backup to go to the other. For example, I use acronis for my main system and have backed it up to a separate server over and above the connector.

ikon

No problem running two. I have had as many as 4 running on the same network. Using the connector software, you can back up ot only one so you have to choose on a system by system basis. Alternatively, you can use one for the connector backup and use a third party backup to go to the other. For example, I use acronis for my main system and have backed it up to a separate server over and above the connector.

Can you have different computers back up to different WHS boxes?

jmwills

Yes. Each install of connector software identifies the client to the server. Now, you can get creative and start mapping shares between any number of servers and have numerous network shares but...too answer you question...two different PCs on the same LAN can backup to two different WHS boxes.

pcdoc

Can you have different computers back up to different WHS boxes?

jmwills is absolutely correct and yes you can. I do that on and off depending on my configuration of the week. It is easier than it sounds. The drive mapping can get a bit harry if you get carried away. Good luck.

joem

Ok. Now I am totally confused. I guess I will rephrase my question. I have two WHSs. I have a computer. Can I backup an image of my one computer to each WHS? Do I use two instances of the connector software on my one computer? What does drive mapping have to do with having a WHS automatically backup an image of my one computer to two different WHSs automatically?

Edited by joem

usacomp2k3
Can I backup an image of my one computer to each WHS?

The answer is no.

Do I use two instances of the connector software on my one computer?

The answer is no.

The only case where it is 'yes' is that if you have a V1 & a V2 WHS, then you can backup to both. But not to 2 different WHS' of the same generation.

diehard

Thanks ITTOG, :lol:

Make sure that both server have all updates so that the correct connector version works with each server. You can only sync or backup with 1 server at a time. To switch between servers, go to the C:\program Files\Windows Home Server folder and run Discovery.exe then there should be a pull down menu, chhose the server and finish that. Now your tethered to that server. Rerun Discovery.exe to use the other server. As noted, each server has to have a different server name.

To make things easy, put a shortcut to Discovery.exe on your Desktop. :P

usacomp2k3

I wonder if you can automate that. Is the server location stored in the registry or an INI file? If so you could set the backup windows to never overlap and then have the computers run a scheduled task to switch between them during the day.

It looks like there is a value in \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows home server\transport\server I wonder if that is it?