RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Install RC after V1 failure

Gary

My v1 crashed again and I'm thinking about putting the RC on instead. This is in a mediasmart 485 server with all bays filled. I want to restore as much of the data from the other 3 v1 data drives as I can. My thoughts are to put in a new drive in the bottom bay only and install RC on it. Then I can use a usb adapter on the drives, attached to another computer, and copy the data to that pc and then put the drive in the server and then copy the data to the drive on the server. I can do this for each drive. What do you think?

Also, if I have RC 2011 on the server and then buy the RTM version what will be the path to put the RTM version on my server? Do you think I can install over the RC version or will I have to start from scratch and copy everything over again? Thanks!

Gary

You can certainly port your data to a PC but I would use a large external drive or docking station but it sound like what you are describing will work. As for the RC to RTM upgrade, I doubt it but it should not matter. Remember that WHS 2011 only messes with your OS drive so the data will still be there. Worst case you will have to repoint your folders and recreate users. I have deleted my install three time already and did not loose a bit of data.