RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Which ESXi version is recommended for Xeon E3-1265L v2 CPU?

itm

I'm repurposing my Microserver Gen8 from a Lubuntu-based NAS to an ESXi host. I will shortly be upgrading it with a Xeon E3-1265L v2, 16GB RAM and a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB SSD. It has 4 SATA data drives, which I plan to leave in place as one of my guest VMs will continue to act as a Lubuntu-based file server. I plan to put my guest VMs on the SSD. 

I plan to have 2 guest VMs:

- Windows Server 2008 running Blue Iris IP camera monitoring software. This tends to be quite CPU-intensive

- Lubuntu 20.04 hosting the following:

- file server

- Logitech Media Server

- Home Assistant (home automation server)

- Mediawiki.

My questions are:

1. Which version of ESXi would be best for my needs? I have downloaded "HPE Gen9 Plus Custom Image for ESXi 6.7 Update 3" from the VMWare site in anticipation, as from reading other posts it seems that it might perform better than v7 with the SSD, but I'm not sure if that's definitive advice.

2. Would it make much difference whether I ran ESXi from a USB stick or an SD card?

My recommendation is VMWARE ESXI 6.7 after that version 7 stops working on some drivers for the Microserver gen 8 like AMS. Its functional...but some features wont be supported on version 7.

21 minutes ago, Haxsource said:

My recommendation is VMWARE ESXI 6.7 after that version 7 stops working on some drivers for the Microserver gen 8 like AMS. Its functional...but some features wont be supported on version 7.

Thanks for the reply. Would you say that the custom image that I've downloaded is the best choice for the Microserver Gen8 ("HPE Gen9 Plus Custom Image for ESXi 6.7 Update 3" )?

I'm using "HPE Customized ESXi 7.0.1 Image version 701.0.0.10.6.3" which has been updated to "ESXi-7.0U3c-19193900-standard" via the normal ESXi upgrade path.

It all seems to work nicely although I am using a P222 rather than the inbuilt AHCI/RAID or USB/SD slot.

As far as I can see, AMS all seems happy too so I'm not sure which AMS features I might be missing...?