RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Blu-ray playback options

Jazman

My home setups use WMC in native form for pretty much everything (except for Hulu Desktop plugin). Up until now, I have 1 TV that I can use blu-rays on and that's my front-projector with a standalone blu-ray player. I'm considering getting a blu-ray drive to do some blu-ray ripping. But, I know that WMC does not natively support blu-ray playback. So, what are people using for playback of rips?

I know one option is Total Media Theater (TMT) and associate a format with it. But, that is kind of clutzy for the wife-acceptance-factor. Another option that I can see would be to convert the rip to a playback format that WMC supports. But, this is kind of a pain due to conversion efforts.

Any input is appreciated. I may just bag the idea and keep on going as I have been for now. But, I figured I'd throw it out there...

Keith

My home setups use WMC in native form for pretty much everything (except for Hulu Desktop plugin). Up until now, I have 1 TV that I can use blu-rays on and that's my front-projector with a standalone blu-ray player. I'm considering getting a blu-ray drive to do some blu-ray ripping. But, I know that WMC does not natively support blu-ray playback. So, what are people using for playback of rips?

I know one option is Total Media Theater (TMT) and associate a format with it. But, that is kind of clutzy for the wife-acceptance-factor. Another option that I can see would be to convert the rip to a playback format that WMC supports. But, this is kind of a pain due to conversion efforts.

Any input is appreciated. I may just bag the idea and keep on going as I have been for now. But, I figured I'd throw it out there...

Keith

This is the main reason I do not use MC right now. I am thinking about trying a Dune, Boxee Box, or popcorn hour but haven't finalized which I want. Dave's review on the Boxee Box has me leaning towards it but it also concerned me a little because he referenced problems with a high bitrate blu-ray over his network.

This is the main reason I do not use MC right now. I am thinking about trying a Dune, Boxee Box, or popcorn hour but haven't finalized which I want. Dave's review on the Boxee Box has me leaning towards it but it also concerned me a little because he referenced problems with a high bitrate blu-ray over his network.

For me, those stand-alone boxes are non-starters. They all have limitations. WMC does everything I want to do right now EXCEPT to play blu-ray rips. While that is in the negative column for WMC, the pluses far exceed the minuses.

Anything solution to my question that I would use would need to work in-tandam with WMC at this point (at least until there is a better overall option.)

Keith

I use TMT3 (there is a newer version out there but I haven't upgraded). It works great, integrates fairly seamlessly with media center. I would suggest using MyMovies which will show your blu-ray with a nice border on it and will launch TMT automatically. When you stop the movie, you can hit the green button and you're right back in WMC. It's a pretty good solution. FYI, I get occasional stuttering if I try to play the blu-ray right from the home server. I have resorted to copying the movie I want to watch to the hard drive of my HTPC and playing it from there. Takes about 10 minutes to transfer the movie and then playback is flawless.

You can do this several ways and this is just one example:

1. AnyDVD HD: Rip movie to HD

2. Clown_BD: Extract main movie and desired audio trac to blu-ray folder structure.

3. TMT3 or TMT5: Play blu-ray folder structure.

4. Media Browser or Mymovies: (optional) For the WAF in Media Center

http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvdhd.html

http://www.clownbd.com/ http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT5P&dyContent=details#submenu

http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1250607

I use TMT3 (there is a newer version out there but I haven't upgraded). It works great, integrates fairly seamlessly with media center. I would suggest using MyMovies which will show your blu-ray with a nice border on it and will launch TMT automatically. When you stop the movie, you can hit the green button and you're right back in WMC. It's a pretty good solution. FYI, I get occasional stuttering if I try to play the blu-ray right from the home server. I have resorted to copying the movie I want to watch to the hard drive of my HTPC and playing it from there. Takes about 10 minutes to transfer the movie and then playback is flawless.

Hey there Korev (sp??), I mean Chris. I hope things are going well in residency. Good to see you around. When you talk about the blu-ray stutering. Is this on v1 or v2?

Keith

I disagree that it does integrate as a matter of fact it should be pretty seamless. You just select the movie you want to play and WMC will decide if it can play it natively or automatically lauch TMT. On my hardware, I barely see the transistion screen. In my opinion it is the best solution out there and I have it running on two HTPC's. The new version is even better and has a few more options. If you could describe "clutzy" I might be able to help as it really should not be. I would suggest trying it again and maybe there are configuration options that could be improved based on what you do not like. My two cetnts.

THe stuttering problem is fairly common and is related to network and DE issues. Mostly the latter. I used to get them almost religously at midnight for about a minute then it would clear up. Since moving all my movies to V2/2008, I can stream 5 BD at a time without any stuttering at all. I agree with you that the sollution is pretty clean. As a matter of fact, if you do not want to use mymovies, you can use the list view in MC and it will work the same. TMT will lauch automatically and start playing.

Good to hear from you and hope you are doing well.

Mike

THe stuttering problem is fairly common and is related to network and DE issues. Mostly the latter. I used to get them almost religously at midnight for about a minute then it would clear up. Since moving all my movies to V2/2008, I can stream 5 BD at a time without any stuttering at all. I agree with you that the sollution is pretty clean. As a matter of fact, if you do not want to use mymovies, you can use the list view in MC and it will work the same. TMT will lauch automatically and start playing.

Good to hear from you and hope you are doing well.

Mike

I'm using TMT 3 (still too many issues with v5 imho) along with media browser and it works great. I was getting the stuttering problem when streaming from my WHS v1, got around it by removing my blu-ray drive from the drive pool and setting the share up manually. All issues resloved and the WAF is the best ever. So much i'm going to have a hard time trying to convince her i need to upgrade everything for WHS 2011.

I disagree that it does integrate as a matter of fact it should be pretty seamless. You just select the movie you want to play and WMC will decide if it can play it natively or automatically lauch TMT. On my hardware, I barely see the transistion screen. In my opinion it is the best solution out there and I have it running on two HTPC's. The new version is even better and has a few more options. If you could describe "clutzy" I might be able to help as it really should not be. I would suggest trying it again and maybe there are configuration options that could be improved based on what you do not like. My two cetnts.

thanks for the info pcdoc. I'm not yet at the Blu-ray stage, but I have a computer that will become my HTPC very soon and I will be looking for something that my wife can use. I will definitely check TMT out.

I'm using TMT 3 (still too many issues with v5 imho) along with media browser and it works great. I was getting the stuttering problem when streaming from my WHS v1, got around it by removing my blu-ray drive from the drive pool and setting the share up manually. All issues resloved and the WAF is the best ever. So much i'm going to have a hard time trying to convince her i need to upgrade everything for WHS 2011.

good to know; thanks.

Edited by ikon