RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver with P420 - set up question

aronadaal

Hey guys,

I am new to the topic of Gen8 Microserver, but especially to the topic of hardware raid. I have a P420 controller installed in my microserver. The server is running VMware ESXi 6.7.

I want to install two hard disks and run them as raid volume (mirrored). My question is now the following: Can I create this RAID volume in ESXi or do I have to do this in iLO or via the controller firmware? Or am I on the wrong track?

I would appreciate a little push in the right direction.

Bye, aronadaal

While booting the server you can enter the RAID controller setup and configure the drives. A more comprehensive tool is the Offline HP Smart Storage Administrator (HP SSA). You could boot the server to the offline SSA, update the firmware run diagnostics and setup drives.

• Like 1

Thanks schoondoggy for your reply. I could boot into the raid controller (with F5).

I also tried booting the newer version of the Offline HP Smart Storage Administrator, but with no luck.

Just so I have this right.I load the contents of the ISO file onto a usb stick and during the boot sequence select F5 on the raid controller again. Then it should load the files from the usb stick instead of the internal firmware. However, the boot process gets stuck at the HP logo.

My server bios is up to date and I tried the latest version of HP SSA.

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_321a88714bff4279abf175b9bd#tab2

Do you have any advice for me?