RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ML10 G9 upgrade options

sutt359

Hi everyone

I'm looking at swapping out my old gen8 microserver for a ML10 Gen9. Good or bad idea? The ML10 gen 9 is £100. 

It has E3-1225 v5, 16GB and the extended drive bay cage. I would like to add a decent cheap raid controller for sata/sas drives but I don't know whats compatible. 

Well I passed on the ML10 Gen9 and got a ML30 Gen9 for £150.

What are my Raid card options? 

If you want to stay with HPE, the P440 was the card they had aligned with the ML30. It is a great controller, but it has a single 8 port SFF connector that does not have many cable options. I would wait to get the server to see if it comes with cabling.

HPE Smart Array P440 Controller

On 2/8/2022 at 8:08 PM, schoondoggy said:

If you want to stay with HPE, the P440 was the card they had aligned with the ML30. It is a great controller, but it has a single 8 port SFF connector that does not have many cable options. I would wait to get the server to see if it comes with cabling.

HPE Smart Array P440 Controller

Well it's turned up. 

It's gonna need some ram, it's only got 1 drive caddy.... So gonna need another 3.

I was planning on adding 2.5" HDDs in the top in a 6 drive caddy... So looks like the P440 will be a good choice. But looking at the PSU its very limited with the amount of connectors. I thought about replacing the PSU but it's got a special connector for the black plate of the 4 drive bay. 

Or can I just extended the already there sata power cables?

Managed to find a very cheap P440/2GB FBWC 12Gb 1-port Int SAS Controller, but what cable do I need to connect it to the drives? 

This is what one of the cable options looks like:

774615-001 For HP P430 P440 P830 Wide SAS to Dual Mini SAS Cable Wire 782430-001 | eBay

It breaks out to two SFF-8087. One for the backplane in the server and one could be used for 2.5" drives if you can find a drive bay that uses SFF-8087. These were nice but have been EOL:

Mini SAS to 4x2.5in SATA/SAS Backplane - Hard Drive Racks - HDD Mobile Racks & Backplanes (startech.com)

I managed to get a cheap H240 as it will do what I need. Just to run 4 ssds. 

Also 32gb desktop ram works just fine in these. Also got a CPU upgrade to a 1240v5 for £40.

Hopefully the PSU will cope running 4x4tb 3.5" HDDs, and 6 SSD, with a CPU upgrade, 4x nic card, h240 and a quodro p620