RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

Kman

You can use the server version (business pro) for WHS 2011. That is what I have been running since RTM and works great. It supports 2008R2 but not officially WHS although I have not had one stitch of issues with it.

But outch that's a very heavy price if I read the site correctly

Are there any good free at least not costing more then WHS2011

What I would like to find is a product that can run on ALL my pc's and then feed any alerts to my WHS2011 this why I watch WHS2011 and know if someone's PC is not updated or has some alerts things like that

a long time ago Avast has this on WHSv1 but then they changed the client version and it started giving me all types of problems and in the middle of this my superscription expried and I never renewed and moved clients to MSE....

I have noticed on my clients MSE does not always update it self properly but as long as I keep check it seems to be good

When I try and install MSE on WHS2011 I get "Microsoft Security Essentials cannot be installed on your operating system"

Edited by Kman

daveyboy37

Kman For MSE to work on WHS2011 u need to look for the beta version 2.0.375.0. It runs without any issues.

tinkererguy

Good news!

I got Microsoft Forefront Client Security to run (well) in Windows Home Server 2011 tonight, looking forward to hearing what you think. I put together detailed instructions here:

http://tinkertry.com/antivirus4whs2011

ForefrontRunningOnWHS2011.png

tinkererguy

I suspect most Windows Home Server v1 users who wished to find an antivirus solution have already found one by one. But note, turns out Forefront Client Security also works fine on Windows Home Server v1 as well.

http://tinkertry.com/antivirus4whs

antivirus4whs.png

Kman

this sounds good but do you think it would be better then the MSE that I now have installed?

Commodore

Thank you Tinkererguy for posting the instructions. It worked perfectly for me.

tinkererguy

Don't know yet if it's better than MSE, but for me, it's better than nothing, especially if it doesn't get in my way. So far, it doesn't seem to slow down my overnight backups, that's a good preliminary sign.

But probably only the real test of time will tell.

Joe_Miner

Thanks for the post! I had been going thru the TechNET literature and had found a few places that gave instructions for experimental installations (i.e. manual installation for test purposes ) as in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff823774.aspx -- but none of them work (for me any way). Your instructions did the thing for both V1 and 2011 --

V1 went very easy exactly per your instructions

2011 wasn't so straightforward -- I ended up downloading from the KB and forcing a definition update -- don't know yet if it will update automatically in it's own yet.

Running both in clones of my test set-up in Virtual Box to see what happens -- could be interesting.

I've seen where other's hve loaded Forefront Client by

http://www.missingremote.com/forums/what-antivirus-whs2011

which seems to be backed by

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb625083.aspx

tinkererguy

2011 wasn't so straightforward -- I ended up downloading from the KB and forcing a definition update -- don't know yet if it will update automatically in it's own yet.

David (who didn't wish to sign up for this forum) kindly emailed me today with the following info, I'm note quite sure about all of it, since my installs went well, and David used the RTM EVAL download instead of the MSDN/TechNet download I documented. Pay particularly close attention to what I bolded below. Can you try that and see if you have reliable automatic updates?

Hi, Good post. I have had some success with the forefront client on WHS and now on WHS 2011. I have used the command line method to install, very quick and easy.

In the Forefront download (the one I have from technet is labeled FCS_RTM_EVAL_en-us_1703.0.iso), drill down to the client install directory, to the folder with CLIENTSETUP.exe, (or x64/CLIENTSETUP.exe). Save those directories, the rest of the disk is unneeded.

I usually copy the directory to the root of the C:drive so it is easy to navigate to (c:\\x64).

Then I copy and paste:

clientsetup.exe /I \ "C:\Program Files\MS Forefront Client" /L "C:\Program Files\MS Forefront Client\logs" /nomom

The only problem that I have had is that it does not always auto update itself. I had found that sometimes it would and sometimes not. Going to the online manual update page would also not bring joy even after installing 20 or more manual downloads. Then sometimes it would be mysteriously updated a day or two later.

The trick turned out to be getting Windows Update to be configured to also check for other Microsoft product updates.
Go to the Windows Update screen, find and click on the Change Settings link. This should give you a view of option of what and when to downlaod Updates. Make sure that the Microsoft Update checkbox is selected. Thats it.
You should get any and all needed updates for the Forefront Client the next time you have it Check for Updates.

I went the the Home Server site to share this, but I apparently need a Twitter account to post. Too complicated for me. Let me know if this helps. If it does please feel free to share it with the world. It was devilishly hard for me to discover this, and I would have loved to find a clean, simple post like the kind you make. Thanks,

David

If there's good info in this email, I'll go ahead and add it to my instructions, of course. But getting the forum reader's feedback is key.

Joe_Miner

David (who didn't wish to sign up for this forum) kindly emailed me today with the following info, I'm note quite sure about all of it, since my installs went well, and David used the RTM EVAL download instead of the MSDN/TechNet download I documented. Pay particularly close attention to what I bolded below. Can you try that and see if you have reliable automatic updates?

Hi, Good post. I have had some success with the forefront client on WHS and now on WHS 2011. I have used the command line method to install, very quick and easy.

In the Forefront download (the one I have from technet is labeled FCS_RTM_EVAL_en-us_1703.0.iso), drill down to the client install directory, to the folder with CLIENTSETUP.exe, (or x64/CLIENTSETUP.exe). Save those directories, the rest of the disk is unneeded.

I usually copy the directory to the root of the C:drive so it is easy to navigate to (c:\\x64).

Then I copy and paste:

clientsetup.exe /I \ "C:\Program Files\MS Forefront Client" /L "C:\Program Files\MS Forefront Client\logs" /nomom

The only problem that I have had is that it does not always auto update itself. I had found that sometimes it would and sometimes not. Going to the online manual update page would also not bring joy even after installing 20 or more manual downloads. Then sometimes it would be mysteriously updated a day or two later.

The trick turned out to be getting Windows Update to be configured to also check for other Microsoft product updates.
Go to the Windows Update screen, find and click on the Change Settings link. This should give you a view of option of what and when to downlaod Updates. Make sure that the Microsoft Update checkbox is selected. Thats it.
You should get any and all needed updates for the Forefront Client the next time you have it Check for Updates.

I went the the Home Server site to share this, but I apparently need a Twitter account to post. Too complicated for me. Let me know if this helps. If it does please feel free to share it with the world. It was devilishly hard for me to discover this, and I would have loved to find a clean, simple post like the kind you make. Thanks,

David

If there's good info in this email, I'll go ahead and add it to my instructions, of course. But getting the forum reader's feedback is key.

After posting last night I read thru some of the material I had collected -- in particular the info on TechNET.

One article in particular:
involved installing FF on home computers. A few parts of that article are worth quoting IMHO.

=====
  • Home-use installations must use Microsoft Update to download definition updates, rather than a corporate WSUS server. Consequently, the home computers must be opted into Microsoft Update manually.

Configuring your computer to use Microsoft Update

For the home computer to receive definition updates, you must configure it to use Microsoft Update.
It is highly recommended you do this first, so that the Client Security agent can immediately connect to Microsoft Update and get definition updates.
The steps to do this are different for Windows Vista and Windows XP.
To configure a computer running Windows Vista to use Microsoft Update
  1. Click
    Start
    , point to
    All Programs
    , and click
    Windows Update

2. In the
    Windows Update
    window, next to
    You receive updates
    , verify that it states
    For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update Service
    The presence of this statement indicates that the computer is configured to use Microsoft Update. No further steps are necessary.

3. If the statement
    For Windows only
    is present, click
    Get updates for more products

4. In Internet Explorer, read the Terms of Use, select the
    I accept the Terms of Use
    check box, and then click
    Install

5. If the
    User Account Control
    dialog box appears, click
    Continue

====

After again reading this [note the section highlighted and underlined] I realized I should have set WHS2011 up for Microsoft updates before I did your install. I went into Windows update and made the change which you can see below highlighted.

MS_UpdateOnHal_10-03-2011.jpg

I believe this has fixed the issue I may have had but I plan to wait a couple days before coming to a conclusion.

As of right now FF is:

FFonHal_10-03-2011.jpg

Is that the client version you're seeing in your setup?

The rest of the article in TechNET confirms "Dave's" process. I plan to test that step with another Clone later this week or weekend.

Here's the relevant section IMHO from http://technet.micro...y/bb625083.aspx

=======

Distributing the Client Security agent installation program

The Client Security agent installation program,
clientsetup.exe
, is located in the
Client
folder on the Client Security installation CD. Clientsetup.exe calls the Windows Installer files needed for the Client Security components. For this reason, when distributing the Client Security agent to home users, you must distribute both the appropriate processor platform version of clientsetup.exe and the supporting MSI installer files.
The following table lists the files you need to include for each processor platform when distributing the Client Security agent for home use.

Files needed for x86-based computers (from the
Client
folder)

Clientsetup.exe

Fcsssa.msi

Mp_ambits.msi

Windowsxp-kb914882-x86-LNG.exe where LNG is the language of the operating system installation

Files needed for x64-based computers (from the
Client\x64
folder)

Clientsetup.exe

Fcsssa.msi

Mp_ambits.msi

Installing the Client Security agent

To install the Client Security agent in a home-use scenario, you must install it without the reporting and alerting component.
To install the Client Security agent on Windows Vista without the reporting and alerting component
  1. On computers running Windows Vista, click
    Start
    , point to
    All Programs
    , and then click
    Accessories

2. Right-click
    Command Prompt
    , and then click
    Run as administrator

3. In the
    User Account Control
    dialog box, click
    Continue

4. In the Command Prompt window, change to the location of the Client Security
    Client
    folder, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    clientsetup.exe /NOMOM

=======

I hope you find this helpful! [Note the tables in the TechNET notes didn't copy over well so I had to fiddle with the file lists]

Edited by Joe_Miner