RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

Guest divaaa

Hello,

Yes antivirus are really very important for our system it protects our system from many harmful things. there are so many viruses all over internet and can cause harm to anyone's computer.

thanks!!

daveyboy37

Sorry if this is common knowledge and its posted elsewhere in the forums but here goes...

Microsoft Security Essentials 2 Beta is definitely working in WHS 2011. I managed to download and install without issue. :P

Edited by daveyboy37

ikon

I access my sever from work all time to transfer files and would prefer not to attach anything that does not below

What method do you use to transfer files, and do you do it both directions?

ikon

Sorry if this is common knowledge and its posted elsewhere in the forums but here goes...

Microsoft Security Essentials 2 Beta is definitely working in WHS 2011. I managed to download and install without issue. :P

That's good news for those that want an AV on WHS. Thanks for posting it.

timekills

Wait. Are you talking MSE2 beta which was released about this time last year? The beta of the currently released full product that is out now?

daveyboy37

Mmmmm.Yeah.

Not being a MSE user i hadnt realised that it was nearly a year old. :P (Embarrased or what?)

Hey but it works so it will tide me over til something else comes along. Its a bit lame that Microsoft had a build that was compatible with WHS2011 and yet the final product isnt.

The more i think about this the more it amuses me.. Twelve months ago when WHS2011 barely existed MSE could protect it. Now its released it cant.. Go figure!!

Edited by daveyboy37

pcdoc

What method do you use to transfer files, and do you do it both directions?

I access via the remote site and yes I transfer files in both directions. In theory the PC you are upload from is protected but it depends on who has access. I do not like to take chances.

timekills

I access via the remote site and yes I transfer files in both directions. In theory the PC you are upload from is protected but it depends on who has access. I do not like to take chances.

You/We're using WHS 2011. This defines "taking a flyer."

I won't even go into "Vertex 3 hits the market in 3...2...1...BUY!"

:)

msawyer91

I checked Avast's website today and their only WHS product is for WHS v1. I'm running that now on my EX490, but my EX487 is running WHS 2011 and I'd like it to have some protection. I loaded McAfee enterprise on it and that's running fine. I'd rather have Avast, but the server's protected now so I feel better.

pcdoc

I checked Avast's website today and their only WHS product is for WHS v1. I'm running that now on my EX490, but my EX487 is running WHS 2011 and I'd like it to have some protection. I loaded McAfee enterprise on it and that's running fine. I'd rather have Avast, but the server's protected now so I feel better.

You can use the server version (business pro) for WHS 2011. That is what I have been running since RTM and works great. It supports 2008R2 but not officially WHS although I have not had one stitch of issues with it.