RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

pcdoc

I have tested Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) this week and did not run into any issues. I had setup Symantec Endpoint Protection to auto update daily and scan all hard drives daily. I had put some test date on a hard drive which Symantec Endpoint Protection was able to scan with no issues. I will use this AV software on my WHS 2011 build until Microsoft updates Microsoft Security Essentials to run in WHS 2011 and SBS 2011.

No impact to accessing you media library from remote access? I have seen this is a problem with a couple of packages.

tojoski

Was that the business edition of Nod32 you tried?

Strange that it has a problem with 2011.. I've installed it on a couple hundred machines without so much as a hiccup..

Though I've not tested it on 2011, I'm running it on my 2008r2 box along with the Eset Remote Administration as a management back end..

PCEddie

No impact to accessing you media library from remote access? I have seen this is a problem with a couple of packages.

Good Morning PC Doc,

I used LogMeIn to access WHS 2011 RC and did not have any issues. I did not try to access the media library. I will mainly use this WHS as a file and backup server.

Mr_Smartepants

I'd be very interested to hear of any potential issues from having Symantec Endpoint Protection installed on WHS, especially for remote access. I have SEP 11 update 6 installed on all my client machines (my work gives us all home-use licenses), but I've been hesitant to install it on my WHSv1 because of the integrated firewall. I didn't want to lose access to the server after install.

If all goes well on PCEddie's install, I may well ditch WHSClamAV for it.

I've been testing the WHS Phone for Android add-in and I'm liking it. I'd hate for a decent AV product to break the remote access features.

Has anyone tested M$ Forefront security?

This page doesn't list ANY WHS versions as compatible, although it does list 2003 server and 2008 server (& R2).

<goes off to play in VM...>

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

pcdoc

Was that the business edition of Nod32 you tried?

Strange that it has a problem with 2011.. I've installed it on a couple hundred machines without so much as a hiccup..

Though I've not tested it on 2011, I'm running it on my 2008r2 box along with the Eset Remote Administration as a management back end..

Yes, the issue is not server 2008 as much as the media library accessed remotely. It is in their forums as well. It seems to affect several different ones but only as it relates to that. On the 2k8R2 no problem.

great circle

I installed the free version of Comodo anti-virus and firewall on WHS 2011 about 2 weeks ago and have had no issues with it. It installed without issue and has updated without problems.

jcollison

Great Circle...how did you test it? Have you thrown some test virus files at it?

great circle

Comodo did install fine on WHS 2011 RC but that doesn't mean it is actually working. I am a little light on how to or what to throw at the Comdo anti-virus to test it. Any suggestions? The forums are full of anti-virus programs that don't install or work on WHS 2011 RC so I was throwing Comdo in the ring for as one to check out. I have the firewall version on all my Win 7 machines(10) and have used various tests (eg. GRC leak test) and am satisfied that the firewall works as good as Norton or Zone Alarm did for me in the past.

unrealshots

I'm running McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.8, seems to go ok... running McAfee Enterprise 8.7 Patch 4 on my WHS v1 .... :)

Edited by unrealshots

tinkererguy

I have tested Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) this week and did not run into any issues. I had setup Symantec Endpoint Protection to auto update daily and scan all hard drives daily. I had put some test date on a hard drive which Symantec Endpoint Protection was able to scan with no issues. I will use this AV software on my WHS 2011 build until Microsoft updates Microsoft Security Essentials to run in WHS 2011 and SBS 2011.

Briefly tested Symantec Endpoint Protection 11.0.6100.645 (the unmanaged client version), and yes, seems to work on WHS 2011 RTM just fine (no big CPU impact noticed when using realtime virus scan).

But I would prefer to be using something free, like Microsoft Security Essentials, with stated support for WHS2011. Or perhaps no AV at all, if I never run any browser on the WHS2011 box whatsoever, and continue to use AV solutions on all connected machines.

Clipboard11.jpg

Edited by tinkererguy