RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

pcdoc

I know we've discussed this ad nauseum with WHSv1, but I'm still in the camp that says I don't need - or want - additional real time scanning and it's overhead on a file server when my workstations already do this. The concern is more with malware embedded into websites these days anyway, and hopefully most people aren't using their WHS as a web-surfing machine...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right we have discussed this allot however I still believe it is important for two reasons. First, remote access espcially if you have write access. I access my sever from work all time to transfer files and would prefer not to attach anything that does not below. Work AV is good but because of size therer is always one threat or another. Secondly, in the last year, I have the server detect 3 separte files that where infected. So at that point I became a believer. Theoritically that should not happen but it did. Everyone needs to find a strategy that works for them but for me, I want the extra protection. Call me paranoid.

Good Morning All,

I have read this thread and currently testing Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333). So far the installation was smooth with no errors. I will be testing this out this weekend and part of next week. I will post my results to the thread.

Good Morning All,

I have read this thread and currently testing Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333). So far the installation was smooth with no errors. I will be testing this out this weekend and part of next week. I will post my results to the thread.

Very interested in your results. Looked at it briefly and it seem a bit confusing as well as designed to protect not only your server but all you clients as well. The concept is cool so let us know what you think.

Day one with Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) and all seems to be working fine. I checked WHS 2011 and no errors. I have setup Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) to scan all hard drives and no errors. I was able to get Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) from the university I attended. Although there is no addon for Symantec i don't mind as long as it is doing the job.

Edited by PCEddie

If you have anything that downloads metadata on your server then you need AV.

If it goes past your default gateway into the great world wide web it goes without saying it should have an AV. Otherwise your just burning cpu cycles to dbl chk the data. Nothing wrong with it, but...just sayin'

What about Security Essentials? Didn't they make it compatible with 2008R2?

I just installed Windows Server 2008r2 Enterprise on a test computer and installed Microsoft Security Essentials. It did install with no problems and currently running it for a few days to see how it works. I did not receive any errors during the install. Although WHS 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008r2 there are some differences in what software can be installed on each OS. I hope Microsoft will update Security Essentials to install on WHS 2011 and Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials.

Day one with Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) and all seems to be working fine. I checked WHS 2011 and no errors. I have setup Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) to scan all hard drives and no errors. I was able to get Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) from the university I attended. Although there is no addon for Symantec i don't mind as long as it is doing the job.

I have tested Symantec Endpoint Protection (version 11.0.5002.333) this week and did not run into any issues. I had setup Symantec Endpoint Protection to auto update daily and scan all hard drives daily. I had put some test date on a hard drive which Symantec Endpoint Protection was able to scan with no issues. I will use this AV software on my WHS 2011 build until Microsoft updates Microsoft Security Essentials to run in WHS 2011 and SBS 2011.