RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

pcdoc

The last post here is a few months old and I have been searching the forums for any info on a recommended antivirus solution for both WHS2011 server and client computers.  So, sorry to bring this up again.  But, the many different post seem to be a little confusing for me.  What seemed to work initially stopped working or interfered with other programs etc. 

So, what is working?  I would like a antivirus solution for my server and a AV and firewall solution for my clients.  I am tired of trying different FREE product with mixed results.  Most don't play well together.  I need help.  Thanks.

I am really liking AVG for the server and NIS for the work stations.  AVG has been the cheapest and best solution for servers I have seen.  2 Servers for $39.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-file-server-edition

awraynor

Dell is selling the 2012 version with 2 years of updates for $22, wonder if it is really that much 

different from 2013?

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=A5366885

G Data had a server version which had a console for your clients, available only in a few countries.

Still don't see it on their U.S. site.

This is AVG 2013, two seats for one year at $32, but I've never heard of this site:

http://www.antivirussales.com/store/avg-file-server-business-1year-2seat-new

skelzer

oh boy... this should bring back this thread from the dead once again.

I've been scanning through MANY old threads looking for an AV solution for my fresh WHS2011 install on my HP micro gen8.  I have a TechNet subscription, so figured I'd lean towards Forefront or SCEP... and couldn't get past the invalid OS prompt when trying to install each version's client.... until I stumbled across this thead.

Surprise, surprise... I now have MS System Center 2012 R2 Endpoint Protection installed and working great on WHS2011.

Install is extremely easy:

- Download the ISO:  mu_system_center_2012_r2_configuration_manager_x86_and_x64_dvd_2926949.iso

- Extract the 24MB client installer from :\SMSSETUP\CLIENT\scepinstall.exe

- Open an admin command prompt on WHS2011

- Run the exe file with the switch /disableoslimit

Amazed at how easy this was... thanks to mr_smartepants for the idea!

PS - right after install, WU prompted to upgrade client to v4.4.304.0... sweet!

Edited by skelzer

Essexraptor

so without a technet subscription ... this will not work ?

Mr_Smartepants

Amazed at how easy this was... thanks to mr_smartepants for the idea!

Wasn't my idea.  I just posted it here. ;)

diehard

I also used /disableoslimit to get Security Essentials on my WHSv1 box

And what's cool is that when you install the PC Connector, you get a antivirus warning pop up.

Dragon_Void

so without a technet subscription ... this will not work ?

No need for a technet subscription, you can get MSE free of charge from Microsoft's website...

Essexraptor

No need for a technet subscription, you can get MSE free of charge from Microsoft's website...

thanks

:)

skelzer

Correct... but to clarify, you do need a subscription via TechNet, MSDN, or outright purchase to access the ISO for MS System Center 2012 R2 Endpoint Protection (SCEP)... which is what I was referring to in my example.  On the other hand, AV protection via MSE is a freebie download.

Edited by skelzer