RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

pcdoc

Some of us don't have free access to Forefront.

I used a 64-bit executable dated (downloaded) 9/21/2012.  After installing it updated and ran a scan.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

And I found that MSE interfered with the SQL Server instance that is used by MyMovies. So I removed MSE. YMMV.

I could definitely see that occuring. I wouldn't think MSE would work very well with any server level applications that are heavy loads like SQL or Exchange.

And I found that MSE interfered with the SQL Server instance that is used by MyMovies. So I removed MSE. YMMV.

That's an interesting observation. I take it that ForeFront doesn't interfere?

• 3 months later...

The last post here is a few months old and I have been searching the forums for any info on a recommended antivirus solution for both WHS2011 server and client computers.  So, sorry to bring this up again.  But, the many different post seem to be a little confusing for me.  What seemed to work initially stopped working or interfered with other programs etc. 

So, what is working?  I would like a antivirus solution for my server and a AV and firewall solution for my clients.  I am tired of trying different FREE product with mixed results.  Most don't play well together.  I need help.  Thanks.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials for both my WHS 2011 server and Win7 clients.

To install on the server, use the command prompt with MSEINSTALL /DISABLEOSLIMIT

Works great.

Others have had success with Microsoft Forefront Security, but you can't get the installers without a Technet/MSDN account.

I'm starting to switch over to BitDefender. MSE has been disappointing me recently, and its scores on the international test sites aren't very good. I installed BD on my HTPC, which already had MSE but was acting a little weird, and it found 22 threats MSE completely missed. After cleaning them up, the system started behaving normally again. I picked BD because it seemed to have one of, if not the, best ratings over the past several years.

I have been using Malwarebytes (paid version) on both my 2011 box and Client PC (Free Version) with MSE.  Has been working well for me.