RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

pcdoc

It will be interesting to see if the security MS is building directly into its various products will provide the level of protection afforded by ForeFront. Hal Berenson seems to think it will, and then some. I hope he's right.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

That's basically what Berenson says is happening. He says each product is getting it's own, customized protection based on FF tech. It won't be FF in its entirety, just what's needed for the product in question. He indicated that it's been going on for several years -- that's why there are so many different 'flavours' of FF instead of 1 unified product. Berenson also said MS saw the handwriting on the wall that security appliances are taking over and there is little place left for a software product.

Makes sense and also makes sense as to why MS is moving all of these server products to a domain environment. Much easier to manage, at least in my old mind.

• 5 months later...

This may be a bit late in the day now but you CAN install MSE on WHS 2011, drop to command prompt and run the exe with the following switch /disableoslimit

Works a treat. Stumbled across it on the N40L forum on AVForums... http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1702023-hp-proliant-microserver-n40l-owners-thread-part-4-a.html

MSE installed and scanning my system right now.

Edited by cwobbles

I believe we discussed this topic about a year or so ago but always good to bring it up.

Yeah. I thought it sounded familiar. IIRC, the discussion basically concluded that it's simpler and easier to just run ForeFront. 'Course, that was when FF was still a supported product.

I don't recall seeing this. Based on the switch you would think it would work on any OS. I guess the next question is do the updates work.