RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

pcdoc

Running ESET NOD32, picked it up on a Newegg special, 3 users for $20. During full scan it's using 69MB.

Compared to SQL Server running 940MB!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

Since mine has caught a couple of things, I am still a believer. I have been very impressed with the AVG file server version. Combined with Kaparsky loaded in my untangle box, and Norton on the the desktop, I feel pretty safe.

I'm curious what it caught. Because I've had AV's catch exe's from Nirsoft, handy utilities for revealing passwords and other stuff. And I've seen Ultra-VNC declared malware.

I've seen MSSE on my desktop catch the eicar test virus even though the target folder was on the server.

Running ESET NOD32, picked it up on a Newegg special, 3 users for $20. During full scan it's using 69MB.

Compared to SQL Server running 940MB!

It's a great A/V, and one of the few that officially supports WHS, v1 and 2011

• 4 months later...

I think Joe Miner has been running FF for a little while. I did on SBS 2008 but just haven't had enough time to tinker with it on WHS

The article Mary Jo wrote is excellent and she has a nice link that is worth reading about the history behind FF http://hal2020.com/2012/09/15/goodbye-forefront-it-was-nice-knowing-you/

I think Joe Miner has been running FF for a little while. I did on SBS 2008 but just haven't had enough time to tinker with it on WHS

I've been running it a lot -- it's handy and easy to load onto a variety of MS OS products while I'm testing them. It helps provide security "in depth" -- always a good thing.