• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tinkererguy

• pcdoc

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

Top Posters In This Topic

@Neophyte. I contacted G Data about their product. You can get it in a few countries, including Nepal apparently, but not in the US.

They have me in their to do list, and as soon as it is available here I am sure they won't forget to let me know (for sure). I've seen a

number of reviews where G Data did very well and I even tried the client version before. It flagged a few jailbreaking .apk on my Droid

X that MSSE didn't notice, or didn't care about.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. Have been too busy to look into this further. Disappointing that MSE still unsupported.

I'm one of the ones that prefer not to run Antivirus on my WHS. I don't surf from there other than windows updates pulling down the patches that are sometimes scary to install.

I don't browse from mine either, but I have flash drives in and out of it every so often. Seen some really nasty bugs spread that way.

If you have the available hardware, you could setup a stand alone machine, off the network, and scan all portable media before inserting it into any network machine. You have a reasonable amount of faith that media would then be deemed safe to use.

If you haven't done it already, make sure the system is set to not auto-play inserted media of any kind: USB drives (flash and spinning), CDs, DVDs, etc.

Since no AV is perfect, an AV on my WHS is like getting a second opinion. Some also feel that since MyMovies will download

data that should be checked too.

Since mine has caught a couple of things, I am still a believer. I have been very impressed with the AVG file server version. Combined with Kaparsky loaded in my untangle box, and Norton on the the desktop, I feel pretty safe.

Since mine has caught a couple of things, I am still a believer. I have been very impressed with the AVG file server version. Combined with Kaparsky loaded in my untangle box, and Norton on the the desktop, I feel pretty safe.

No issues with resources? Of course you're running an I5, but you have tons (Terabytes) or data to scour through. I suppose I could put the AVG server version on my whs 2011 build and at $40, that's a not a big deal to me.