pcdoc

WHS 2011 and Antivirus

139 posts in this topic

Sometimes there are things that just do work well together. Existing antivirus programs and WHS are two of those things. First I tried AVG which claims to be 2008R2 compatible (and works fine on my 2008 R2) which I installed. Every time I installed it I would loose the media library via remote aceess. Remove it and all is well. Next I tried NOD32 which is alos a server 2008R2 program. This times I lost my picture library, and it completely hosed my installation of WHS 2011. I could not uninstall and it completely locked the system. When I rebooted the install was corrupt and would not let me run the install program. The silver lining is the in windows system recovery in WHS 2011 is absolutely awesome and restored my configuration back to yesterday in about 12 mins. The only thing I lost was the couple of hours I spent this morning creating a bunch of shares. The moral of the story is stay away from AV programs for WHS 2011 until they give us one that is made for it.

What about Security Essentials? Didn't they make it compatible with 2008R2?

With all the hoopla around DE and the new DE add-ins...I totally forgot about AV. Will do some testing on MSE right now!

5 minutes later....well that was easy. I get the "this version does not support this OS" message. Will have to figure a way to hack it on. Bummer.

5 minutes later....well that was easy. I get the "this version does not support this OS" message. Will have to figure a way to hack it on. Bummer.

When I get a chance, I'll try to install the Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 client and see how that works out. I've installed that stand-alone w/o the server on some of my test and demo VMs running 2008 R2. Not sure how this would really help in a production scenario, however.

When I get a chance, I'll try to install the Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010 client and see how that works out. I've installed that stand-alone w/o the server on some of my test and demo VMs running 2008 R2. Not sure how this would really help in a production scenario, however.

I saw that but was not sure that it would be good for a standalone server.

Jim,

Got the same message. Actualy that was the second one I tried. There is not much out there.

ClamAV. Works well on my WHS2011 box. Not going to try and claim how effective it is, but it is low-resource and causes no problems.

ClamAV. Works well on my WHS2011 box. Not going to try and claim how effective it is, but it is low-resource and causes no problems.

Great to know, I may try it. Did get an email from AVG and they are going to release a WHS 2011 version but they would not commit to a date. Thanks for the information.

Same song, second verse...seems like I have been here before? Oh wait...I have! Bummer

With SBS 2011 out the door, you'd think that the A/V companies would be crawling over themselves fighting to get marketshare in this new arena.

Why aren't we seeing new A/V products that support the new server arch?

And with DE out of the picture, there's no excuse for the A/V companies to exclude Home Server either.

Drat!

While ClamAV is OK, it doesn't offer realtime scanning.

Maybe we need to give it just a couple more weeks? I will keep my eyes open!