RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Offsite Online Backups?

Fernis

I was just wondering what you guys are using and or what you think the best offsite online backup storage service is. I am currently using IDrive Pro Personal and it works fine for a reasonable price per month.

Right now I'm using KeepVault. I won a free subscription I'm not worried about paying for it so the cost is not an issue for me now. I think the are reliable. Jungle Disk has not been reliable. I like that KeepVault also allows for backing up to you Windows Home Server. This is automatic. The builtin Shares Backup given to us by PP2 is not automatic. Each offers benifits.

Also KeepVault has a KeepVault Connector to update specified folders on your PC in realtime. So for now I prefer KeepVault.

You can also take a look at Cloudberry http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/10/22/add-in-cloudberry-backup-for-windows-home-server/

John.

I have pretty much tried all the major "unlimited" offline backup sites in the last 2 months.

Carbonite, F-Secure Online Backup, and Crashplan work on WHS.

Mozy and Backblaze cannot be installed onto WHS.

My backup plan was to have WHS backup my client machines while having an offsite backup solution for the backup files that WHS stores. My WHS backup files come up to around 250GB's total.

If you have basic cable internet, all 3 services work well enough. Its just about the price at this point.

However, I have Fios and 50/25 connection and found Carbonite to be EXTREMELY slow. F-Secure is the next fastest and I got around 700KB upload speed. While Crashplan was the fastest with around 1MB upload speeds, however once passed 200GB storage, the speeds slowed down extremely (50KB).

If you have a good amount of space, upload speed, and keep your WHS running all day, I would recommend trying wuala.com.

I have been using it for the past 2 weeks and its been pretty interesting so far. Its a p2p cloud storage solution where you share space on your server with others (either friends or other random wuala users). You can share files like dropbox and have it watching folders for incremental changes.

Its extremely fast (over 2MB a second) when uploading my data to the cloud. Its free if you want to build up your own storage space but you can also buy space right off the bat if you dont plan to share. You start off with 1GB storage (if you look for coupons online you can start out with 3GB) and build from there.

After the last 2 weeks, I now have over 50GB's of storage space earned. It looks like you can earn the maximum of 1TB of space at the moment, so if you need more than that, you will have to look somewhere else.

Apologize about the long post, sounds like a commercial almost lol.

I still like the KeepVault guys over all of them. The KeepVault Add-In comes with a local backup utility as well as the cloud side. I use the local backup to copy my shares to my ioSafe. It even comes with KeepSync which will sync directories of your choosing to the WHS as soon as there is a file change. If you work in a certain directory all day long and your PC dies at 5 P.M. your entire day of work is gone. Not with KeepSync. Click the banner on the homepage or go to keepvault.com.

Dave

Hi I use cloudberry, there a WHS plug in, which allows you to pick and choose what you want.. I used to use Jungle Disk, but they are or have stopped supporting WHS, and by the looks of things, there's a whole new desktop version etc.. anyway, cloudberry goes to S3 as well.. so far so good..

Cheers
Ian

I like IDrive a lot even though it doesn't integrate directly into the WHS console because I can drill down directories to tell it which files to back and which to not. Other backup software I have seen lets you select the folders, but it is at a broad level and doesn't let you drill down.

CookiePuss - thanks for the GREAT post. Keep them coming!

I too am interested in cloud storage for the WHS. What are perfect conditions for WHS users? Here are my thoughts:

1) Native Add-in - let's see something that is designed to run with WHS.
2) Unlimited Storage - we have servers because we have lots of data.
3) Low cost - we can't expect free, but if we'll be paying for years, I think the $5 a month range is easy to cough up. Would I accept $10? Probably
4) Speed - The faster the better
5) Security - Of course, we need to have complete trust in the company storing our stuff in the cloud
6) Flexibility - Let me pick specifically what I want to backup from my server (with option for the whole thing!)

I really like dropbox which I use for syncing frequently used files (using a free account), the client works faultlessly on the WHS but you have to use a single folder which makes it less that ideal for the WHS.

If you could select folders outside their structure to sync and which folders to sync back to which pcs, then this would be idea (apart from being a bit pricey at $99 for 50gb per year).

I'm also trying keepvault on the WHS, but their app lacks the polish I would prefer. Still it is cheap (with the 10% discount trick). Probably worth it for offsite backup peace of mind.

Hopefully in a years time this market will have developed further, with some better software and cheaper storage prices.

I'd like to hear an update on where you stand on the WHS to off-site WHS backup solution. You guys had tried on thing and then found and issue (I think it was file size). Then you were using the free option of a cloud backup service (since you weren't actually storing in the cloud but just using it as a conduit). Is this a working solution and have you tried an experiment of actually recovering data from it?

I'm exploring my options and am going to be helping a friend implement a WHS and would like to be able to mutually use each others WHS as off-site.

Thanks,
Jaz

I concur. I personally would like a way to backup specific shares to the cloud somewhere to ensure data integrity under massive failure (such as the house burning down).