RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Switch Recomendations 5-8 Port

itGeeks

Greetings,

Looking to see what others are using for there 5-8 port switched? Make and model please. I have been a Netgear fan boy but I here good things about TP-Link such as SG105 5 Port and SG108 8-Port

Thanks in advance.

for a non-smart switch like that I have "used them all" and never a problem. they should not need fans, you may prefer a metal case or not, otherwise I think most of them probably run on the same chips anyway...

now I use smart switches except for some POE switches.

Edited by nrf

I have three TP-Link SG105E.

They're not much more expensive than the SG105 and the "E" version is managed. Most important feature for me is the support for 802.1q VLAN tagging.

• Thanks 1

@nrf, Thank you sir. Yes I would only use metal cases. For "smart and PoE switches what are you using?

Edited by itGeeks

24 minutes ago, oj88 said:

I have three TP-Link SG105E.

They're not much more expensive than the SG105 and the "E" version is managed. Most important feature for me is the support for 802.1q VLAN tagging.

Good point. I would consider the "E", TP-Link switches get great reviews. I always thought of them as low end as far as quality but I may change my mind. I like the fact that there switches have QoS for voice & video built in and IGMP even the "none smart swtch"  FYI, the "E" model gets a bad rap for security though, seems it allows VLAN hopping and that's not a good thing. 

Edited by itGeeks

1 hour ago, itGeeks said:

Good point. I would consider the "E", TP-Link switches get great reviews. I always thought of them as low end as far as quality but I may change my mind. I like the fact that there switches have QoS for voice & video built in and IGMP even the "none smart swtch"  FYI, the "E" model gets a bad rap for security though, seems it allows VLAN hopping and that's not a good thing. 

Can't seem to find specifics on the VLAN hopping problem. If it helps, I don't use VLAN 1. I also have them installed at home. There's no physical way for anyone outside of family to access the ethernet ports.

Are you sure there a way to disable VLAN 1? As for your use case "only using it at home" well that helps some but your still not protected from a "Brute force attack" if successful it could jump the VLANs defeating the purpose.... just food for thought. That said I read Netgear SMB switches have the same problem though I have tested either....

TL;DR these small switches are fine for home environments and where reasonable care and planning went into its configuration.

I see your point. Took me a while to wrap my head around it and here's what I think:

1. If anyone can physically brute-force their way into my home, unauthorized access to my network is probably the least of my problems.

2. VLAN Hopping or Double-tagging attacks are issues that can be minimized or even mitigated using proper switch configuration techniques. What I've done myself is I changed the Native VLAN from the default VLAN 1 to something else and I don't have any users connected to Native VLAN or VLAN 1.

3. These small "smart-managed" switches are NOT meant for environments where security is absolutely important... the same reason banks don't buy their safes from Amazon. :D

Jokes aside, I'll probably think twice before deploying this in a commercial or business setting. But again, there are nuances involved so it's not going to be a deal-breaker in many cases.

I have a hodgepodge if you include those on the shelf waiting to serve. My first small smart switch was the Netgear gs108t, I have a couple of those in v3 after free lifetime replacements. I am also using a TL-SG108E in my barn where I have a dumb switch on POE duty so I have a pingable switch for sectionalization purposes.  And admittedly my IT budget is limited so I'd rather replace a cheap dumb poe switch that went south with another cheap one instead of having to replace a more expensive smart+poe switch.

The Netgear lifetime warranty has definitely been helpful.

My central switch is a T1600G-28TS so I guess you could say I like Netgear and TP-Link in general.