WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

thobel

I'm builing a replacement to my current WHS for 2011

Specs

Lian Li PC-A71F With a Icy Dock MB455SPF-B Drive Bay

Asus P867 Pro

Intel 2600K

Corsair 1000HX

Nvidia GTS 450 (never know may fold on it)

8GB Corsair DDR3 1600

Areca ARC-1261ML-2G

15 Hitachi 2TB 7200 Drives

-- OS raid 1 (2 drives) I may decide to go SSD on O/S -Whats the smallest drives I can do?

--Data 13 Drives in Raid 6 with 1 Hot Standby for 20TB Usable. Any special things to note about a 20TB data Volume?

dvn

Unless you come up with some hack, the smallest size drive you can install on is 160 GB.

thobel

Unless you come up with some hack, the smallest size drive you can install on is 160 GB.

so 160GB Intel X25M drives would would or is the 160GB after formating etc?

Guest no-control

Specs are overkill for WHS will you be doing something else with this server?

160GB after formatting

thobel

I use it for Backing up 6 PC's, Storage for 8 TB's of media serving to 2 Media Centers, Remote Access and other odds and ends like tools Playon.tv etc. I also use it as a syslog server and may use it for additional apps going foward. I don't want to touch the box after its setup for anything more then changing a failed drive. I would say my current needs are about 10-12TB with the extra 8-10TB for future growth ( I add a few Blueray/HD movies a month)

so the 160 intel drives wouuld be to small :/

mrossco

I use it for Backing up 6 PC's, Storage for 8 TB's of media serving to 2 Media Centers, Remote Access and other odds and ends like tools Playon.tv etc. I also use it as a syslog server and may use it for additional apps going foward. I don't want to touch the box after its setup for anything more then changing a failed drive. I would say my current needs are about 10-12TB with the extra 8-10TB for future growth ( I add a few Blueray/HD movies a month)

so the 160 intel drives wouuld be to small :/

Based on your needs, I'd drop the CPU down to one of the i3/i5 derivations and use the onboard graphics rather than add a card. The new graphics in the Sandybridge platform should be more than sufficient and even have improved transcoding capabilities over the GTS.

thobel

Based on your needs, I'd drop the CPU down to one of the i3/i5 derivations and use the onboard graphics rather than add a card. The new graphics in the Sandybridge platform should be more than sufficient and even have improved transcoding capabilities over the GTS.

Yeah I'm sure I can get buy on a lower end cpu but to be honest I rather be safe then sorry. My servers tend to have a longer life then my desktops and who knows what I may want to run on this in the future.. VM's WHS v3 never know. The savings would be tiny in the overall scheme of things. Video card I'm pretty sure your 100% right however the Motherboard I'm looking to get doe snot have onboard video. I'm building it with some ability to OC the CPU (Nothing crazy maybe 4.0)

Somthing I forgot to add I may decide to Fold on this will see how things perform on it.

Edited by thobel

pcdoc

I'm builing a replacement to my current WHS for 2011

Specs

Lian Li PC-A71F With a Icy Dock MB455SPF-B Drive Bay

Asus P867 Pro

Intel 2600K

Corsair 1000HX

Nvidia GTS 450 (never know may fold on it)

8GB Corsair DDR3 1600

Areca ARC-1261ML-2G

15 Hitachi 2TB 7200 Drives

-- OS raid 1 (2 drives) I may decide to go SSD on O/S -Whats the smallest drives I can do?

--Data 13 Drives in Raid 6 with 1 Hot Standby for 20TB Usable. Any special things to note about a 20TB data Volume?

Couple of comments. First is that this does not spec as WHS but a nice performance system. I would not use a 2600, Gts 450 in a WHS nor would I use a 1000 watt supply. My sandy bridge which is 2600 draws 60 watts out of the wall. Add the drives you are maybe at 100 watts depending on the drives. The video card on a WHS is also not necessary. I know you talked about folding but my suggestion is to respec this to true WHS, then build up a nice general purpose system to satisfy your need for other things. Obviously it is up to you but your gain will be zero on these three components used a WHS. As for your questions on a large volume, nothing special to know except you can not back it up which I know is not necessary in a RAID 6 but that is all I can think of.

thobel

Couple of comments. First is that this does not spec as WHS but a nice performance system. I would not use a 2600, Gts 450 in a WHS nor would I use a 1000 watt supply. My sandy bridge which is 2600 draws 60 watts out of the wall. Add the drives you are maybe at 100 watts depending on the drives. The video card on a WHS is also not necessary. I know you talked about folding but my suggestion is to respec this to true WHS, then build up a nice general purpose system to satisfy your need for other things. Obviously it is up to you but your gain will be zero on these three components used a WHS. As for your questions on a large volume, nothing special to know except you can not back it up which I know is not necessary in a RAID 6 but that is all I can think of.

Based on http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power 2600, 15 sata drives, video, mb, raid card, dvd rom and fans I'm at 898 watts under full load (I'f I was folding) As a power supplies capacitors age it becomes less effecent at with 24/7 usage you could expect a 25% reduction in effecency within a year and would actualy put me over 1100 watts. I also find I need a video card for when stuff happens and to configure the raid card get into bios etc.

My Performace systems are both 980x with tri 480's and 580's fully water cooled. this is a pure server

mrossco

I think the jist of the conversation is that many on these forums can build a WHS for less than half the cost of what thobel is planning, and still get the same relative performance. It also sounds like thobel is aware of this, but doesn't care as he is suspecting that he will be repurposing the hardware for other things.

One thing that does come to mind as a result of the conversation is RAID may actually increase power consumption for a given WHS server. That is to say, in the DE world, an individual read/write operation typically only happened one drive at a time. In a RAID world, these read-write operation is likely to occur across multiple drives at the same time. This is where we plan to see better performance for a RAID setup, but we should also see power consumption increase as well.