RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

not sure why people would pay for this when the onboard firmware can handle it pretty easily. if you're just looking for a nifty 2x2.5 to 3.5 drive caddy use one of these. I'll trust my mobo and even windows before I trust IcyDocks little on board RAID controller. Not knocking their product, I just trust my mobo manf over Icy.

Because if you MB goes bad, you still have your mirror regardless of what MB you put back in. I have never been able to reproduce a raid array when swapping MB's and using the MB's firmware for the raid. I even tested once using the exact same MB.

Not everybody has hundreds of dollars to drop on buying all new drives when they own some that would work, but aren't ideal. Limited funds <> Piss Poor Planning.

Good response.

ikon

Not everybody has hundreds of dollars to drop on buying all new drives when they own some that would work, but aren't ideal. Limited funds <> Piss Poor Planning.

:D Of course it does; you should've planned to have more funds :D

kermi

Wonder if i'm really strange, since i really do not want to go on planning multi-array, WHS2011 backupable storage strategy for my home NAS.. or anything involving the word "strategy" to be honest. Seems unnecessary complicated business for a thing i'll stuff at the corner of the room at home, and mostly forget about it. Could also be affected by the fact, that while i am computer enthusiast, i don't do that stuff for a living, so i really haven't got the expertise to do it fast or easy.

Also, i was wondering what sort of a RAID array i'd be able to build with my current drives.. one 7200rpm 1 TB drive, two 5400-7200rpm 1 TB drives, 1 5400-7200rpm 2 TB drive (not i use atm. sitting in my closet and waiting for a server update) and one 5900rpm 2 TB drive.

I'm somewhat conviced that RAID controllers won't like drives spinning at differend rates..

ikon

Wonder if i'm really strange, since i really do not want to go on planning multi-array, WHS2011 backupable storage strategy for my home NAS.. or anything involving the word "strategy" to be honest. Seems unnecessary complicated business for a thing i'll stuff at the corner of the room at home, and mostly forget about it. Could also be affected by the fact, that while i am computer enthusiast, i don't do that stuff for a living, so i really haven't got the expertise to do it fast or easy.

Also, i was wondering what sort of a RAID array i'd be able to build with my current drives.. one 7200rpm 1 TB drive, two 5400-7200rpm 1 TB drives, 1 5400-7200rpm 2 TB drive (not i use atm. sitting in my closet and waiting for a server update) and one 5900rpm 2 TB drive.

I'm somewhat conviced that RAID controllers won't like drives spinning at differend rates..

I think this is a YMMV issue. Some controllers no doubt will have problems with it; others, like the Drobo <drink :) > should handle it fine. Paging Mr. Collison, paging Mr. Collison....

CablDeViL

Had a questions on WHS 2011 that I have not tested yet. In V2 what does server backup actually backup? Is it the same as V1?

pcdoc

Had a questions on WHS 2011 that I have not tested yet. In V2 what does server backup actually backup? Is it the same as V1?

The client does basically the same but the server backup backs up the server and any shares you indicated.

CablDeViL

The client does basically the same but the server backup backs up the server and any shares you indicated.

Thank You Mike. I am still waiting to get the nod from the wife on the 5 2tb drives for my video raid.

Kman

One thing that is very obvious to anyone that already built WHS2011 but for me was a surprise and should be kept in mind when thinking about how much drive space and what you need.

All client Computer backups are stored on your data drives and then in order to do Server backups you will need another set of drives. Server backups can include backups of client Computer backups to so that you can have two copies of them but you do have the option to exclude them.

For me these will mean I will need some type of raid of sometime as on my WHSv1 my client backups take up 2.1Tb of space I’m sure part of this as I save a lot of them.

Just found this interesting and though some others might want to know

pcdoc

One thing that is very obvious to anyone that already built WHS2011 but for me was a surprise and should be kept in mind when thinking about how much drive space and what you need.

All client Computer backups are stored on your data drives and then in order to do Server backups you will need another set of drives. Server backups can include backups of client Computer backups to so that you can have two copies of them but you do have the option to exclude them.

For me these will mean I will need some type of raid of sometime as on my WHSv1 my client backups take up 2.1Tb of space I’m sure part of this as I save a lot of them.

Just found this interesting and though some others might want to know

There might be a bit of confusion here. Your server and client backups can be directed to something other than your data drives, say a seprate 2T drive. If done this way, the server backup does not include the client computers. The server backup of the OS and the shares does not mean you backup the client backups although you can if you want to.

Guest no-control

rolleyes.gif

Then maybe you should plan to either appropriate the funds required to do it properly or look into a different system which has the flexibility you require at a low cost. Might I suggest unRAID or WHSv1?

Your statement is akin to wanting to run flawless DX11 gaming graphics. I would suggest a GTX560 SLi setup to ensure proper rendering and a bit of breathing room for future games. Then you crying that not everyone has $500 to spend on GPUs and isn't ideal for limited funds. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand they need to either suck it up or lower their expectations and settle for something else.