RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

mrossco

BTW, you can't have 8 drives because the controller itself takes up 1 of the IDs (0 to 7).

This sounds awefully like a throwback to SCSI-based RAID controllers of old. Since the RAID controllers, I hope, we are looking at are SATA\SAS based, each drive gets its own channel with the controller terminating the other end. No IDs are necessary with serial controllers. If you have an 8-channel SATA card, then it will, in fact, support 8 drives. As to the total size of these drives and the number of which may be included in a logical array, that is completely up to the firmware/controller combination of your particular card.

Kman

I know I’m a little off topic but here goes

What are you all planning to use for doing all this RAID 1 and RAID 5 stuff?

I like the idea of mirroring for OS and primary data but with my experience its best not to use the raid chips build into the motherboard as you have too many things that can go wrong and lose everything (not counting backups)

Does anyone know what happens if you backup drive fills or if you have two drives for backups and one fills will it just automatically go to the 2nd one?

On the backup side does WHS2011 use any type of compression?

On the backup side I’m also worried that one of my pc’s has 2.3Tb of data on two 2Tb drives can this be backup to the server as no single drive is over that 2Tb limit (I’m guessing the first time will really take a bit of time). What about the next few times I think if it’s backing up to a 2Tb drive or something it’s going to crash as I don’t have enough spare drives to perform any of this testing can people that have run into this type of thing please let me know how or if it even works.

Here is what my storage my storage may look like I’m still working out how it can really be done with what cards and at what cost.

I was thinking of using two 2Tb drives for OS and family photos as you just never want to lose that stuff. I do see most of you put your OS on it’s own drive but to me if I’m going to mirror it I want to use it for all my most important data most of which really is not accessed all that much.

Then for my Video I will build another Raid5 as this will not be backed up at all.

With music and other assorted stuff on another 2Tb drive

As for backups I was thinking of building another Raid5 just to have the room or can I just keep adding drives into the existing server and they will go onto the drive that has the space for them or I’m I still stuck thinking of DE

My worry with this setup is do I use one raid card and be almost out of ports and space for almost anything else

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I like the idea of mirroring for OS and primary data but with my experience its best not to use the raid chips build into the motherboard as you have too many things that can go wrong and lose everything (not counting backups)

Does anyone know what happens if you backup drive fills or if you have two drives for backups and one fills will it just automatically go to the 2nd one?

On the backup side does WHS2011 use any type of compression?

On the backup side I’m also worried that one of my pc’s has 2.3Tb of data on two 2Tb drives can this be backup to the server as no single drive is over that 2Tb limit (I’m guessing the first time will really take a bit of time). What about the next few times I think if it’s backing up to a 2Tb drive or something it’s going to crash as I don’t have enough spare drives to perform any of this testing can people that have run into this type of thing please let me know how or if it even works.

Here is what my storage my storage may look like I’m still working out how it can really be done with what cards and at what cost.

I was thinking of using two 2Tb drives for OS and family photos as you just never want to lose that stuff. I do see most of you put your OS on it’s own drive but to me if I’m going to mirror it I want to use it for all my most important data most of which really is not accessed all that much.

Then for my Video I will build another Raid5 as this will not be backed up at all.

As for backups I was thinking of building another Raid5 just to have the room or can I just keep adding drives into the existing server and they will go onto the drive that has the space for them or I’m I still stuck thinking of DE

My worry with this setup is do I use one raid card and be almost out of ports and space for almost anything else

I think most of us are going to use something similar to IcyDock's raid 2.5" to 3.5" box for the OS. I am leaving data off that drive just to reduce the number of read/writes on it.

For the data raid setups, most discussions are related to using a raid controller, NOT software raid.

Yes, there is compression on the backups and the first backup takes a while. I don't know how affective the backups are though. After that, the length of time depends on what has changed since the last backup. WHS only backs up what was chanaged from the previous backup, thus reducing the time it takes to complete a backup. This also reduces the amount of space needed for the backups.

ikon

This sounds awefully like a throwback to SCSI-based RAID controllers of old. Since the RAID controllers, I hope, we are looking at are SATA\SAS based, each drive gets its own channel with the controller terminating the other end. No IDs are necessary with serial controllers. If you have an 8-channel SATA card, then it will, in fact, support 8 drives. As to the total size of these drives and the number of which may be included in a logical array, that is completely up to the firmware/controller combination of your particular card.

I was thinking of SCSI RAID when I wrote it. Hadn't really thought what the implications of SATA RAID controllers would be. I've only had 4-channel SATA boards so never thought about it much. Thanks for the update; good to know.

ikon

I think most of us are going to use something similar to IcyDock's raid 2.5" to 3.5" box for the OS. I am leaving data off that drive just to reduce the number of read/writes on it.

For the data raid setups, most discussions are related to using a raid controller, NOT software raid.

Yes, there is compression on the backups and the first backup takes a while. I don't know how affective the backups are though. After that, the length of time depends on what has changed since the last backup. WHS only backs up what was chanaged from the previous backup, thus reducing the time it takes to complete a backup. This also reduces the amount of space needed for the backups.

I haven't installed WHS 2 yet so I don't know if this will work or not. On WHS 1 I have 4 drives in an external bay that I melded into a single volume using the Disk Manager "extend partition" feature (I forgot exactly what it's called). I currently use this volume to back up my WHS 1 drive pool using RoboCopy.

I was hoping to use the same kind of idea in WHS 2, except I would use 'extend paritition' to create my main 'drive pool' for WHS and have my current external bay for backup of the 'drive pool'. However, I don't even yet know if WHS 2 (i.e. server 2008 R2) has the extend partition feature.

Guest no-control

RAID1 using onboard chip for o/s and data & RAID5 using controller cards for any media arrays

Statement really vague. I've been using onboard RAID since my x38 board with ICH8, never one had a problem. I've never had "something" go wrong and lost "everything". Please elaborate.

Sounds pretty solid to me

The first part makes no sense. why build an array just to have the room? If you already think you'll need the room size the first array accordingly. While its possible to add drives to arrays don't count on it. Plan ahead for what you think you'll need. You can always add another array to the system. If you size it properly 1-2 years from now creating a new single array properly sized with larger capacity drives migrate the data then either repurpose or sell the old drives and controller. The add a drive is more of a stop gap for piss poor planning IMO.

There's no rule that you can only use 1 controller card. if you run out of room add another card and create another array. It's quite flexible in many aspects.

not sure why people would pay for this when the onboard firmware can handle it pretty easily. if you're just looking for a nifty 2x2.5 to 3.5 drive caddy use one of these. I'll trust my mobo and even windows before I trust IcyDocks little on board RAID controller. Not knocking their product, I just trust my mobo manf over Icy.

Edited by no-control

JediTim

The first part makes no sense. why build an array just to have the room? If you already think you'll need the room size the first array accordingly. While its possible to add drives to arrays don't count on it. Plan ahead for what you think you'll need. You can always add another array to the system. If you size it properly 1-2 years from now creating a new single array properly sized with larger capacity drives migrate the data then either repurpose or sell the old drives and controller. The add a drive is more of a stop gap for piss poor planning IMO.

There's no rule that you can only use 1 controller card. if you run out of room add another card and create another array. It's quite flexible in many aspects.

not sure why people would pay for this when the onboard firmware can handle it pretty easily. if you're just looking for a nifty 2x2.5 to 3.5 drive caddy use one of these. I'll trust my mobo and even windows before I trust IcyDocks little on board RAID controller. Not knocking their product, I just trust my mobo manf over Icy.

The first part makes a lot of sense. I plan on using the RocketRaid 2680 card with 5 2TB drives...the only question I have in mind is do I want to install a hot-spare in the even I lose a drive. I already plan on getting an additional drive in the event I lose a drive but should I install it or just have it on the outside prepared for the eventual failure. I guess when the data does surpass my capacity (currently have 4TB of video media...figure I can upload another 100-125 BluRay movies) in a couple of years I can move toward the building of a new array. The only additional thought is that I would ultimately like to back this up as the thought of re-ripping several hundred movies is more painful than the cost of a several drives. How would and what would you back this up to?

Part II - I also planned on the IcyDock but was wondering to myself why? If I have a MB with 7 SATA ports and I am using 2 for the mirrored OS and another 2 for another mirrored 2TB drives for my data / music / photos I wouldn't have to worry about using too many ports. I would still have 2 left over as one would be for a DVD drive.

THoughts???

usacomp2k3
The add a drive is more of a stop gap for piss poor planning IMO.

Not everybody has hundreds of dollars to drop on buying all new drives when they own some that would work, but aren't ideal. Limited funds <> Piss Poor Planning.

JediTim

Not everybody has hundreds of dollars to drop on buying all new drives when they own some that would work, but aren't ideal. Limited funds <> Piss Poor Planning.

Thankfully I just tell the wife I'm building another computer...she doesn't question what I am putting in...just rolls her eyes and says another. :unsure:

Kman

RAID1 using onboard chip for o/s and data & RAID5 using controller cards for any media arrays

Statement really vague. I've been using onboard RAID since my x38 board with ICH8, never one had a problem. I've never had "something" go wrong and lost "everything". Please elaborate.

Well in the past two years I have lost two motherboards one was running a mirror with two SAS drives and it was too hard to find the same board. the 2nd pc was just older hardware that started giving problems I’m hopping I will not have this problem with my new build as I’m starting from the case in and it should have much more cooling then I normally build into a pc for my new server. My real point is if you do end up with problems say 2-4 years in it will be very hard for you to find a new motherboard to match the one you have in order to get your mirror working the same. Mind you I’m just unlucky I guess.

OK first my real question was let’s say you do not use raid and just use 2Tb drives for your backups. When the drive gets full can you just add another to the server and your backups will just continue onto the new drive you add? What happens if the pc you are backing up has 3x 1Tb drives for a total of 3tb will it be able to back that up to 2x 2Tb drives that you have put as backup drives? I'm still very confused with the 2Tb limit when you are talking about backups of other pc's and stuff that you need to keep days, weeks, months or seems like it's going to be a challange