RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

This is a WHS2011 thread inside a WHS2011 section of the forum. Might want to move this to the OEM section of the forums. Short is No I'm not. That would be a 2 box solution if you're willing to have 2 boxes running there are several other options available for ya.

Aren't we snippy tonight? Actually it applies here and I will explain so you understand why it is in this thread.

Given the speed and expandability of it, you could eliminate running raid in v2 and put all your media requireing high transfer rates on this box. Thus v2 would just be used for backups and network storage. I agree that two boxes wouldn't be ideal but manageable none the less.

So, anyone that is open to thinking outside the box, or two boxes in this case, intrigued by it? Anyone using one of these boxes? I ran across a thread on the AVS forums about it.

Guest no-control

Aren't we snippy tonight? Actually it applies here and I will explain so you understand why it is in this thread.

I'll ignore the unnecessary comment...

I was pointing out that you would probably get a better response if this was a New thread. I'll explain it to you so you understand why it should be in another thread. Given that the hardware you've suggested is an OEM NAS box not running WHS2011, and that creating a new thread in the appropriate forum, would better generate discussion of the OEM hardware as it is the focus, not WHS2011. It also makes searching this topic for other members much easier as it would located in a logical location, and not buried deep into a WHS2011 storage strategy. It also derails the discussion and focus of the current thread. I was hinting at what you should do if you wanted to generate discussion regarding a NAS box. At the very least opening a new thread titled something more appropriate like "multi-box home network strategy" while still in the WHS2011 would also have been appropriate.

Given the speed and expandability of it, you could eliminate running raid in v2 and put all your media requireing high transfer rates on this box. Thus v2 would just be used for backups and network storage. I agree that two boxes wouldn't be ideal but manageable none the less.

Long answer is still no, followed by a why? Eliminating running RAID in WHS, only to run RAID in one of these boxes gains you nothing. RAID in WHS works the same, has better performance, is more flexible and scalable. RAID in WHS is also cheaper than one of these units. Not to mention the additional cost to have additional LAN ports and drops required for the second box. Now if you wanted to run this is in lieu of a WHS....well then you wouldn't be here. If there was additional functionality like Geek-Accountant's unRAID/WHS setup then I could see the case you're trying to make. For the nice piece of equipment you listed? It doesn't add any value over WHS2011.

Edited by no-control

Lurker

I have been debating on my storage strategy for WHS 2011 and based on my usage I am leaning towards the following. 2 mirrored 500GB 7200 rpm drives for OS and client backups. 2 2TB drives for Data also mirrored. 2 2TB drives swapping monthly for server backups. I know it seems like over kill but I have several 2 TB drives that I'm not using.

ikon

Can you run raid five with 4 drives? I thought you would need 5 for a parity. I am sure i have this wrong (getting old =)

I skimmed through this thread but I'm not sure anyone directly answered your question. For all but the fanciest RAID controllers, you can run RAID5 for example with 3 to 7 drives. Using an odd number of drives, on some controllers, actually gives a slightly greater performance boost than an even number, but even numbers of drives are certainly supported. BTW, you can't have 8 drives because the controller itself takes up 1 of the IDs (0 to 7).

Guest no-control

I skimmed through this thread but I'm not sure anyone directly answered your question. For all but the fanciest RAID controllers, you can run RAID5 for example with 3 to 7 drives. Using an odd number of drives, on some controllers, actually gives a slightly greater performance boost than an even number, but even numbers of drives are certainly supported.

Yeah it was, but yours is more thorough.

BTW, you can't have 8 drives because the controller itself takes up 1 of the IDs (0 to 7).

You sure about that? Is that a limitation of the controller PCDoc listed? I know I've run RAID using 8 drives on a single card. Never heard of the controller taking up a slot on the card.

Edited by no-control

usacomp2k3
You sure about that? Is that a limitation of the controller PCDoc listed? I know I've run RAID using 8 drives on a single card. Never heard of the controller taking up a slot on the card.

It takes up a logical slot within the controller, not a physical slot.

Guest no-control

Ah missed that distinction. TY

Mastiha

Sorry if this has been answered before but what is the process of having a drive or raid volume appear greater than the limit of 2TB in WHS 2011?

I do realise that WHS will not be able to backup that volume but this is not a concern for me.

I listened to episode 33 of the BYOB podcast and it was mentioned that it will be discussed in the show notes on how to do it but I couldn't find a reference to it.

Guest no-control

When you create the RAID in the PBE for a Hardware controller or in Disk Management for a software controller. It will be present as a single disk so 4 2 TB drives in a RAID 5 will appear as a single 6 TB drive in WHS. There isn't really a process other than the setup for whatever RAID you're doing in the controller. Read this Blog post and look at the pictures as you can see there is a single Disk for each RAID array.

ikon

Ah missed that distinction. TY

Sorry bout that. Yeah, usacomp2k3 has it right; most controllers have 1 byte of addressing, each bit representing a 'drive'; the card itself usually takes up 'drive' 0 or 7.