RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

skid

Mirroring makes sense if you want reduncy, however if you want to backup from multiple sources, you will need to a backup. Another words if all you have is 2T of and do not plan to add more drives, just mirror and forget it. Bear in mind that mirroring does not protect you against destruction, such as viruses, corruption, acidental deletions etc. My suggestion is Mirror and backup. Use 2x 2T in a mirror, then back that up to a third 2T. This gives you even better protection than DE, quicker perforance, and no down time at all.

Thanks for the feedback. After I did it I stuck on a external USB drive for back up. This WHS2011 is a plaything for now. All the good stuff is still on Ver 1. All the data on the new server is redundant. I will be doing things like breaking and rebuilding the mirror. I also want to do some server and PC recovery's.

wddn

Hi,

I planning to "upgrade" my existing server from SBS2008 to WHS2011 and I'm still thinking of the best storage strategy.

Server Hardware:

Intel DG33TL Mainboard (with Intel RAID)

Xeon E3110 (=E8400 for LGA775 with 2x3Ghz)

8GB DDR2 RAM

Hardware RAID Controller Promise EX8350 (RAID5/6/...)

Currently:

2x250GB (2,5 inch) @ RAID1 (onboard)for OS

3x1TB@RAID5 (EX8350)

I have ~ 1TB of important data, which should be mirrored + Backup - in addition ~3TB of data which will not be backed up and where mirroring is possible but not necessary (mainly TV recordings/videos)

Originally I was planning to go with 2x250GB (2,5 inch)@RAID1 for OS + 4x2TB@RAID5 (new HDDs) with one 5,6TB partition for storage

Then I heard of the 2TB Limit per partition :(

Two options which I have in mind:

1. 3x1TB@RAID5 with partition for OS (~60GB) + ~ 1800GB Storage of "important" data + single 2TB HDD for Video folder

2. 2x250GB@ RAID1 for OS (~60GB) + ~172GB for Backup of important data + 3-4x 2TB@RAID 5 with several <2TB partitions for storage (the old 1TB HDD#s will be used for backup)

By the way: the backup strategy will include the WHS 2011 server backup function, which will do a daily backup to an external USB HDD, which is powered by a timer (AC power)

Which of the two options would you prefer and why? Any other ideas?

Best regards,

Alex

Guest no-control

Hi,

I planning to "upgrade" my existing server from SBS2008 to WHS2011 and I'm still thinking of the best storage strategy.

Server Hardware:

Intel DG33TL Mainboard (with Intel RAID)

Xeon E3110 (=E8400 for LGA775 with 2x3Ghz)

8GB DDR2 RAM

Hardware RAID Controller Promise EX8350 (RAID5/6/...)

Currently:

2x250GB (2,5 inch) @ RAID1 (onboard)for OS

3x1TB@RAID5 (EX8350)

I have ~ 1TB of important data, which should be mirrored + Backup - in addition ~3TB of data which will not be backed up and where mirroring is possible but not necessary (mainly TV recordings/videos)

Originally I was planning to go with 2x250GB (2,5 inch)@RAID1 for OS + 4x2TB@RAID5 (new HDDs) with one 5,6TB partition for storage

Nice little server. RAID Partitions are not affected by the 2 TB backup limitation since you wouldn't use the feature. The RAID is already fault tolerant.

Two options which I have in mind:

1. 3x1TB@RAID5 with partition for OS (~60GB) + ~ 1800GB Storage of "important" data + single 2TB HDD for Video folder

2. 2x250GB@ RAID1 for OS (~60GB) + ~172GB for Backup of important data + 3-4x 2TB@RAID 5 with several <2TB partitions for storage (the old 1TB HDD#s will be used for backup)

By the way: the backup strategy will include the WHS 2011 server backup function, which will do a daily backup to an external USB HDD, which is powered by a timer (AC power)

Which of the two options would you prefer and why? Any other ideas?

Best regards,

Alex

Here's how I would configure it

2x250GB use onboard RAID1 = system drive

4x 2TB in a RAID5 = 6TB data and media Drive

2TB external drive for backup and taken offsite = Really important data

CablDeViL

You can have a partition bigger that 2TB you just cant back it up. And anything over 2tb I would raid five anyway.

wddn

Thx for your comments

The RAID is already fault tolerant

RAID is not a backup ... I use RAID to compensate the risk of one HDD failure. You should always backup your important data - type in cmd: del** :D joke!- and then you know what I mean.

You can have a partition bigger that 2TB you just cant back it up. And anything over 2tb I would raid five anyway.

Let's adjust the original options:

1. 3x1TB@RAID5 with partition for OS (~60GB) + ~ 1800GB Storage of "important" data (backup with WHS Backup functionality on ext. HDD) + 3x2TB@RAID5 for Video folder (no backup possible)

2. 2x250GB@ RAID1 for OS (~60GB) + ~172GB for Backup of important data + 3x 2TB@RAID 5 with one 5,5TB partition, which cannot be backed up with WHS backup functionality (I would probably use robocopy.bat with task planner to do backup of specific folders to ext. HDD overnight)

If I use robocopy, I would be able to plug teh backup HDD to another PC and would have the files, and not just the image of the files ... hm

JediTim

Well my planned system is:

- 2 drives in onboard Raid 1 for the system drive

- 2TB for documents / photos / music that I will want to backup for offsite storage. Should this also be setup with Raid 1 for the times when I don't backup the drive for offsite storage?

- Raid 5 array with a HighPoint RocketRaid card 2680 with probably 4 2TB drives to start with. I have two questions for this?

1. Can I back this up to an external drive...I would hate to lose the DVD/BluRay backups as the time to replace is worth more than the cost of the backup solution

2. Can I increase the size of the Raid (2680 has 8 ports) for future video expansion?

I like pcdocs setup and will probably base my WHS 2011 build on his. I am runnig a test machine now on old hardware to see how it goes but won't build the Raid until the RTM is done.

CablDeViL

Well my planned system is:

- 2 drives in onboard Raid 1 for the system drive

- 2TB for documents / photos / music that I will want to backup for offsite storage. Should this also be setup with Raid 1 for the times when I don't backup the drive for offsite storage?

- Raid 5 array with a HighPoint RocketRaid card 2680 with probably 4 2TB drives to start with. I have two questions for this?

1. Can I back this up to an external drive...I would hate to lose the DVD/BluRay backups as the time to replace is worth more than the cost of the backup solution

2. Can I increase the size of the Raid (2680 has 8 ports) for future video expansion?

I like pcdocs setup and will probably base my WHS 2011 build on his. I am runnig a test machine now on old hardware to see how it goes but won't build the Raid until the RTM is done.

What will you use for your client back ups? System drive or 2tb raid1?

Raid question1: I think the only way to do the back up is to xcopy or 3rd party back up soft to transfer it to the back up source (USB - Drobo$)

Raid question2: I think you are correct - the bios will detect the drive and you just need to tell it to extend the array. (I know thats to simple but I have to test that all this weekend) it use to work with the old promise IDE cards so I am sure it will work with the 2680 (I have just purchased this card and the cables today yea)

Back to work for me =(

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone look at the Synology DS1511+. It is interesting, especially with the expandability to 15 drives and read/write speeds over 150 MB/s. If I went this route, I could have an expandable raid option that is separate from the server.

In the words of diehard, "Very Interesting".

Guest no-control

RAID is not a backup ... I use RAID to compensate the risk of one HDD failure. You should always backup your important data - type in cmd: del** :D joke!- and then you know what I mean.

I know that's why I said it's fault tolerant. A backup isn't located inside the same server as the original it needs to be moved to either another machine or offsite.

Anyone look at the Synology DS1511+. It is interesting, especially with the expandability to 15 drives and read/write speeds over 150 MB/s. If I went this route, I could have an expandable raid option that is separate from the server.

This is a WHS2011 thread inside a WHS2011 section of the forum. Might want to move this to the OEM section of the forums. Short is No I'm not. That would be a 2 box solution if you're willing to have 2 boxes running there are several other options available for ya.

Edited by no-control

ikon

Not me. I have a Syno box; not interested in having any more.