RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

geek-accountant

no-control, I vote for virtualizing both in WS2K8!

jvk

One thing that I've been wondering that I haven't yet gotten around to figuring out is how easy is it to switch between two backup drives. I am planning to take this same approach, but haven't tried it. Do you have to reconfigure backup every time to use the new drive, or can I set both drives as backup and it just uses the one that it finds? (Hopefully without complain too much about the other one). Guess I need to get another external drive so I can set this up and try it out.

I was wondering that myself as well. I know it complains when you remove a backup drive, but if you have two separate drives (one plugged in at all times)I don't know if it will be ok if one of the two is working... will have to test it out as soon as I can scrounge up another drive.

jvk

jmwills

One nice thing about stepping up to Essentials is that with a second server you could use it as a secondary file server and when incorporating DFS (Distributed File System), all of the shares will appear to be on one box. For some this could mean making the primary box a much smaller installation. This would however, mean the incorporation of a domain, nit such a big deal as the install process does this for you.

Nice chart...pcdoc.

CablDeViL

My strategy is pretty simple... no raid here. I'll be relying on the sever backup function for my duplication. I'll set it at 2 times per day.

For my data drives, I'll be running 2 1TB Western Digital 2.5" (WD10TPVT) drives.

The OS will reside on a 320 GB Western Digital (WD3200BEKT) 2.5" drive.

I'll then plug in a hard drive dock to my Server via USB like this one and always have a 2 TB 3.5" drive in the dock. I'll have an additional 2 TB 3.5" drive at work to act as my co-location strategy. Then VIA sneaker-net I'll switch the drives out ever other week or so.

jvk

Why not just mirror the 1 tb with the other 1tb in disk manager?

dvn

One nice thing about stepping up to Essentials is that with a second server you could use it as a secondary file server and when incorporating DFS (Distributed File System), all of the shares will appear to be on one box. For some this could mean making the primary box a much smaller installation. This would however, mean the incorporation of a domain, nit such a big deal as the install process does this for you.

Nice chart...pcdoc.

That sounds good. When can we expect a write-up on the set-up and config? We'll be needing network charts, pie charts... :P jk...

Disk space on server, backup scheme that includes moving the data offsite, the opportunity to use the old-school term 'sneaker-net'... haha

jvk

Because I want a 2 TB data pool, I think mirroring 2 1TB drives would only yield 1 TB total but please correct me if I'm wrong.

jvk

jmwills

You sir, would be correct. To achieve what you want, a mirror (RAID 1) of 2 x 2TB drives would be needed.

CablDeViL

Because I want a 2 TB data pool, I think mirroring 2 1TB drives would only yield 1 TB total but please correct me if I'm wrong.

jvk

That makes sense - it would be nice if I read more before I post =)

skid

I am currently running 2-1TB drives using one for data and the other for backup. I think I will try your idea and mirror the data drive from disk manager.

(The OS is on a 3rd 250GB drive)

pcdoc

Mirroring makes sense if you want reduncy, however if you want to backup from multiple sources, you will need to a backup. Another words if all you have is 2T of and do not plan to add more drives, just mirror and forget it. Bear in mind that mirroring does not protect you against destruction, such as viruses, corruption, acidental deletions etc. My suggestion is Mirror and backup. Use 2x 2T in a mirror, then back that up to a third 2T. This gives you even better protection than DE, quicker perforance, and no down time at all.