RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

Dave

I don't want to switch gears too much but I'm starting to think about my strategy a little bit more. In this thread we were talking about how much data we use today. I was going to allot a 1TB drive in the server for TV.

I also have a media center "server." I'm starting to think about serving the Recorded TV straight from this box. As it stands today, it records and then copies it over to WHS. There is no redundancy on the WHS and I can easily serve the shows from the media center box. The media center also serves EPG and does a lot of other transcoding.

Until something major changes with WHS and Media Center I don't have any real reason to store recorded TV on WHS.

usacomp2k3
Until something major changes with WHS and Media Center I don't have any real reason to store recorded TV on WHS.

Yeah, without duplication, the only reason to move the content to WHS is to avoid having as many drives in the HTPC.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I don't want to switch gears too much but I'm starting to think about my strategy a little bit more. In this thread we were talking about how much data we use today. I was going to allot a 1TB drive in the server for TV.

I also have a media center "server." I'm starting to think about serving the Recorded TV straight from this box. As it stands today, it records and then copies it over to WHS. There is no redundancy on the WHS and I can easily serve the shows from the media center box. The media center also serves EPG and does a lot of other transcoding.

Do you share the media to other devices using homegroup? Or do you have another approach or no other devices?

Dave

I have a homegroup for Recorded TV. Two HTPC's, xbox360. I don't think I'll experience much of a difference. Perhaps even a performance gain.

jmwills

I use WMC on the clients and the Shared Folders from the server as a Library location. I have no access to record live TV so this approach works for me.

Guest no-control
Anyone thought much about how they will manage add-ins. I never liked putting add-ins on my OS. Various reasons, bugs, heavy, etc. So I am thinking of running a hosted version of v2 on top of v2. The hosted vm will be just for add-ins.

I rarely if ever run addins. The shade-tree stuff is just way to sketchy for me to want to use, much less pay for. Since this will be shared with Business servers theres a chance there could be some worthwhile addins with business grade support/programming. There isn't much I could think of that I would want WHS to do that it already doesn't do. Applications are another story though I can see myself installing some applications and tools built for server on this platform.

geek-accountant

For me, WHS is just for PC backups (which it is excellent at), and remote access to some select files. Therefore, I don't need much (say 3-4TB) storage for it and also only plan to run it as a VM since there really is no need for a stand alone server.

My primary storage solution is unRAID which is now fully moved into my Norco 4020 case. The process of moving the system out of it's box and related hardware and into the Norco case with a different MB, CPU, ram and nic card was simply amazing. All it entailed was physically moving the drives, plugging in the USB stick (unRAID runs from a USB stick) and plugging it into the Norco case. Booted right up, I assigned the drives and she was up and running. I should also mention that I put the USB stick in my Win7 machine and upgraded the unRAID software from v4.5 to v4.7 as part of the process. So software upgrade and totally new hardware, except drives, and it was no problem.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

For me, WHS is just for PC backups (which it is excellent at), and remote access to some select files. Therefore, I don't need much (say 3-4TB) storage for it and also only plan to run it as a VM since there really is no need for a stand alone server.

My primary storage solution is unRAID which is now fully moved into my Norco 4020 case. The process of moving the system out of it's box and related hardware and into the Norco case with a different MB, CPU, ram and nic card was simply amazing. All it entailed was physically moving the drives, plugging in the USB stick (unRAID runs from a USB stick) and plugging it into the Norco case. Booted right up, I assigned the drives and she was up and running. I should also mention that I put the USB stick in my Win7 machine and upgraded the unRAID software from v4.5 to v4.7 as part of the process. So software upgrade and totally new hardware, except drives, and it was no problem.

So why unRAID versus RAID 5?

dvn

That will make a great power packed small server. Nice

Yes, and post a few pictures of it when you're finished. Also, stick it on a scale. I want to know what it weighs. :rolleyes:

CablDeViL

3. Then use four 2T WD drives in a RAID5 (with a hardware card) for my ripped movies and home videos.

Can you run raid five with 4 drives? I thought you would need 5 for a parity. I am sure i have this wrong (getting old =)