RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

pcdoc

great info, Thanks

great to see I'm actually asking questing that guru's such as yourself aren't quite sure about....implying that I'm not asking stupid questions, that is!.

Thanks

and on that note, maybe here's one

In terms of installing software onto a windows server, and in this case, whs2011, how do you know if the software will install correctly, or work properly, if it doesn't specifically say its whs2011 supported. This could be either installing the software as a service (although pcdoc shows how to do this) or as it would operate in a traditional windows environment (eg XP/ win7 )

examples would be sync software (sync toy, allway sync, syncback), media server software (such as plex)

thanks

Most software that runs on Win7 will run on WHS2011. From what I've seen, many of the programs that won't run are actually deliberately coded to not install if you try to install them on an OS they're not approved for.

For example, I believe that MS Forefront will not install on desktop verions of Windows. And, IIRC, there are desktop versions of Acronis backup software that will not install on Windows Servers (they don't want you installing much cheaper versions of their software on servers, which they argue are mostly used by business).

Robocopy not only works on WHS2011, it's actually installed by default. I suspect Allway Sync will run. SyncToy does run.

• 2 months later...

I'm using a standard Windows 7 PC for offsite backup. I have hamachi running at my house and the offsite PC. I use a robocopy script to copy files over.

Of course I don't copy gigs of data each day.

• 1 year later...

I have learned that USB drives do not spin down when idle because the spin down command is not part of the USB protocol ... and USB drives generally speaking are not built to run 24/7.  I don't see why an eSATA drive would not spin down because SATA is SATA, the only difference with eSATA is the plug and sockets are rated for more than six (6) insertions/removals and that is all a hard drive or motherboard SATA socket is rated at.

So I believe eSATA is the only way to sit up an external backup drive for an always-on WHS.

Let me know if I am wrong.