RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

pcdoc

Ok, thank you so far.

I installed WHS now and when I added my huge RAID array WHS divided it into different 2TB partitions. I understood that this ist because of this server backup thing and I agree that this makes sense for some data like photos, documents etc. - but what about all the BD rips? I don't see any necessity in backing this up as I have all those BDs (as a backup...) in my shelf (exept of the work to rip them). But to stay with my opinion to not back the BDs up, is there any way to create bigger drives than 2TB in WHS 2011? Or how do you bring more than 2TB of BD data into one movies share?

How do you mean you "added my huge RAID array"? I have a 5.6TB RAID5 array on a 3ware RAID card and it just shows up in the dashboard as F: Data Pool (because I named it Data Pool). I didn't 'add' it to my WHS2011.

Ok, thank you so far.

I installed WHS now and when I added my huge RAID array WHS divided it into different 2TB partitions. I understood that this ist because of this server backup thing and I agree that this makes sense for some data like photos, documents etc. - but what about all the BD rips? I don't see any necessity in backing this up as I have all those BDs (as a backup...) in my shelf (exept of the work to rip them). But to stay with my opinion to not back the BDs up, is there any way to create bigger drives than 2TB in WHS 2011? Or how do you bring more than 2TB of BD data into one movies share?

No, when you add a partition larger than 2T, you "cannot" add it in using the dashboard. You have to do by RDP into the server and using the disk manager just as you would if you did it in windows 7. Go into the disk manger, delete all the the 2T partitions, and recreate as a "GPT" and you should be goo to go. I kind of cover this in my RAID video if this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to let you know where I ended up.

I tried to stay with one unit as suggested by some of you. That was not that easy as I thougt it to be... I have a seperate room in the basement for my multimedia backend (mce-pcs with HDMI extenders, whs, switch, amplifiers, control4 boxes, knx-installation), air conditioned and (nearly) soundproof - but not soundproof enough to hold those 19" server chassis for the SAN storage. As written, I have a WHS running on a maschine build in a Supermicro SC-743-SQ (Superquiet) chassis, which is perfect. So, to stay with one unit I added a Supermicro SC-836 JBOD with 16 HDDs - wow, sounds like a 747 during take-off... Too loud for me, so I gave it back. Finally I ended up with a seperate NAS, a Synology DS-2411+ running a 12x 3.0 TB HDD RAID 5 + Hot Spare. 120 MB/s with two NICs bonded. Really quiet and fast enough - perfect!

Sounds great. You know have more storage than many corporations. Very cool and good luck. As ikon says, would love to see some pics.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

I’ve been doing a lot of reading and podcast listening and am now ready to plan my backup strategy for my HP Microserver.

I've whs2011 installed in the shipped system drive and I think I will avoid converting the ODD to a system drive with an icydock caddy as it’s my first server and want to keep things simple. As jmwills said, I have a PcDoc starter pack!

I will move the data off our 2 laptops to the server which is approx 700Gb music, 20GB docs, 20Gb photos, and will be ripping some of my DVD’s.

I’ve come up with 2 possible plans. Would appreciate feedback, thanks

Option A

Drive 1; 250GB supplied, WHS2011

Daily backup using “server backup” to “OS external drive” (no room for internal drive based on what I’ve selected below)

Drive 2; 2TB WD Green, Music, Photos, Docs

-mirrored to drive 3

-daily sync to one of 2 rotating offsite external drives

- whs2011 native cloud add-in for backup

Drive 3; 2TB WD Green,

-2TB WD Green, drive 2 mirror

Drive 4; 2TB WD Green, Videos

-daily sync to local video external drive

Option B, (separates music from docs/photos, so no mirror, which I thought might be a good idea but I could be convinced otherwise)

Drive 1; 250GB supplied, WHS2011

Daily backup using “server backup” to “OS external drive” (no room for internal drive based on what I’ve selected below)

Drive 2; 2TB WD Green, Music

-daily sync to “local external drive” for local copy of flat data

-daily sync to one of 2 rotating offsite external drives

- whs2011 native cloud add-in for backup

Drive 3; 2TB WD Green, Photos/Docs

Same backup plan as Drive 2 and using same local external drive

Drive 4; 2TB WD Green, Videos

-daily sync to local video external drive

Some questions I’d appreciate feedback on;

-any preference to any of the following for data sync Allwaysync, sugarsync, robocopy, syncback, synctoy, cloudberry, keepvault, crashplan

-any preference to any of the following for cloud backup cloudberry, keepvault, crashplan

-where should I put client backups and how should I back up the backups?

-is it best practice to use server back up for server OS and clients OS and programs, and sync the data, hence get flat data, as I have listed above?

-with the sync software such as Allwaysync, sugarsync, robocopy, syncback, synctoy, do you install this on the server, or how do you use it to sync the server data?

-would it be better to have the OS backup on an internal drive, and if yes what should I sacrifice to make this happen?

-should I add the client backups, music, docs and photos to the server backup as well or is the ext. drive copies and the cloud sufficient?

-can the Microserver sync to a 4 bay enclosure (rosewill/mediasonic)?

-should external drives with the synced copies have encryption (bitlocker/cloudberry etc)?

Thanks everyone

capall

First, I like Option A the most.

• I use RoboCopy. I run it from a CMD file that is invoked automatically by Task Scheduler. I have nothing against the others (well, SyncToy turned out to not be able to do 1 or 2 things I wanted so I gave up on it); RoboCopy is just my preference.
  • I have no comment on the cloud services as I don't use them. My bandwidth cap makes it impractical.
  • my WHS2011 Client Backups are kept on the same drive as my Data Pool. They get backed up to a Nearline external storage box AND an OffSite storage box, along with my data. The backups are done using RoboCopy.
  • I don't know if it's industry best practice, but storing data 'flat' as you say, is my own best practice. It has worked for me for a very long time.
  • The Scheduled Tasks that backup from my WHS to the NearLine and OffSite units are on my WHS. I have another Scheduled Task on my Win7 main desktop that RoboCopies My Documents to the server, and then back again (because I may have put new files into those folders on the server from another computer).
  • I keep the OS backup external, and rotate 2 drives offsite.
  • I do not include any data in the server backup. For me, it's a means to restore the server OS in case of catastrophic failure.
  • IIRC, the eSATA port on the N40L is NOT multi-port aware.
  • whether or not to use encryption is really up to you. It depends on how sensitive the data is, and how likely it is that it might fall into the wrong hands.

Here's an image of my server setup:

gallery_502_35_361703.jpg

Top Shelf (left to right): CyberPower UPS, Lian-Li EX-503 for NearLine storage, Lian-Li EX-503 for OffSite storage.

2nd Shelf (left to right): USB fan to cool external drive, external drive for server OS backup, Lian-Li WHS chassis

If you look closely, you will see that the Lian-Li EX-503's are labelled NearLine and OffSite. Every night, data (including client backup files) is copied from the internal 4-drive RAID-5 array to the NearLine and OffSite boxes by Scheduled RoboCopy Tasks. The OS is backed up to the external HDD dock every night as well.

Every morning, the drives in the OffSite EX-503 are removed and placed into a Pelican 1300 case for transport to the offsite location. A second Pelican case at the offsite location is brought home, and its drives are installed in the EX-503 OffSite box for that night's backup.

EDIT: Below is a shot of the 2 Pelican cases I use to transport the Offsite backup sets. I deliberately got 2 different coloured cases so I could more easily tell them apart. I had to take 2 photos because the cases are never home at the same time. As you can see, I still have room for 1 more drive in each case, should the need arise.

gallery_502_13_363150.jpg

#ikon #backup strategy #pelican #WHS2011

• Like 2

Thanks ikon for all the info, yes my setup is a tad smaller than yours, but the same principles hold true

I'm beginning to see that while the micro server is a great little machine, backing it up can lead to various USB/esata drives being connected to it, which is not ideal, unless you using a n/w share as a target, such as another microserver. But for the moment I'll stick with external drives

let me digest your info and apply it to my setup,

thanks

ikon,

any pros/cons to using a USB drive for the OS or Data drive backups vs the toaster that you are using?

options would be

-2.5" USB drive such as a WD passport 1TB for the OS backup, no power supply needed

-2.5" or 3.5" USB for data (plus for the 2.5" is no power supply but smaller that data drive, wheres a 3.5" would need a power supply)

- either of above cases with a bare drive mounted into a drive enclosure

-Toaster w/ 2.5 or 3.5" drive

Edited by capall