RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

dpb

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best strategy:

- WHS 2011 server with

2 drives RAID 1 for system

5 drives RAID 5 for pictures, music, (home) videos and misc. files (e.g. word docs)

12 drives RAID 5 (or any other RAID) for BD iso files

- WHS 2011 server with

5 drives RAID 5 for pictures, music, (home) videos and misc. files (e.g. word docs)

-> AND A SEPERATE NAS with

jmwills

What are the sizes of the RAID 5 drives?

jmwills

The NAS throws another level of complexity intothe question. It will work just fine but have you considered carving up the NAS into smaller logical volumes? If for nothing else, the ease of moving data around.

ikon

I agree the NAS adds a complication. Also, if it's a typical NAS and uses LInux as the OS, I don't think you can use things like My Movies. Arguably, the best collection management software runs on Windows. Also, you are going to need a pretty ginormous case to hold 19 drives.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Hi,

I am wondering what is the best strategy:

- WHS 2011 server with

- WHS 2011 server with

-> AND A SEPERATE NAS with

I would stick with one system.

dpb

I do already have the server with 8 drives (1 hot spare), but no experience with WHS 2011 and not yet installed it on this machine. I also have a (old) netgear nas and lots of BDs. As I started to rip those BDs I just realized how much space this will take in the future... Another case is not the problem as there is a 19" rack in my basement. I have some experience with NAS and Windows Servers. The NAS (if so) will be running Win 2008 Storage Server, so MyMovies should work on it. As an alternative I can expand the existing server with another RAID card and a JBOD with 12 drives in it.

ikon

A Windows server should work fine then.

jmwills

The OS of the NAS does not matter as long as the array is presented successfully. If you have access to Server 2008, I'd go that route since you did not mention client backups or remote web access.

pcdoc

The only value in the external NAS is backup. As primary storage, stick with one unit.