pcdoc

WHS 2011 Storage Strategy

pcdoc    107
pcdoc

There has been a lot of discussion surrounding storage in WHS 2011. The image below is my plan on dealing with the loss of DE and how I have configured my test server to maximize the new approach in WHS 2011. Ultimately this will become my production server when WHS 2011 goes RTM. I posted this to illustrate that there are many different ways to configure WHS 2011 and that you are not forced into raid or any other technology. In my case I have used a bit of everything but it is your choice.

I have used mirroring of the OS for maximum up time and hopefully pain free operation. I have used straight drive storage for critical data that is on a daily backup, and of course a couple of huge arrays for endless amounts of media. The point is that you do not have to do it all but it is nice to know that you can. Yes DE is gone but in return, we gain some flexibility, security, and speed. It will be up to you how you configure it and what you want it to do, but I can tell you that after using for a while now I really like the flexibility and options for configuring. Granted it is a "bit" more complicated to setup folders but at the end of the day it works just as it did before only faster.

If you have a different strategy, a different approach, or a question, please post it here so we can all learn as we get comfortable with this new version.

whs2011serverstorage.jpg

ImTheTypeOfGuy    31
ImTheTypeOfGuy

Interesting. Why are you going to put music, software, etc, stuff that is no where near 2 TB's, on a raid array? Seems like anything that would be less than 2 TB's in total would be much better off as part of the pool?

jmwills    283
jmwills

Pool? The strategy looks solid to me.

pcdoc    107
pcdoc

Interesting. Why are you going to put music, software, etc, stuff that is no where near 2 TB's, on a raid array? Seems like anything that would be less than 2 TB's in total would be much better off as part of the pool?

Actually, when you add it all up, it is very close to 2T as it stands today. I have about 200G of software alone, plus videos I have created, plus music etc. The music is the smallest part and I could have easily moved it to the main storage. The main distinction for me is whether or not I wanted to to backup. Anything I put on the 2T storage will get backup along with the clients so I moved all the stuff I did not need to backup to RAID as that is safe enough. All this is sort of a series of choices but so far this is working well for me but who knows, I may change in a week (or less). Thanks for the comment.

ImTheTypeOfGuy    31
ImTheTypeOfGuy

Actually, when you add it all up, it is very close to 2T as it stands today. I have about 200G of software alone, plus videos I have created, plus music etc. The music is the smallest part and I could have easily moved it to the main storage. The main distinction for me is whether or not I wanted to to backup. Anything I put on the 2T storage will get backup along with the clients so I moved all the stuff I did not need to backup to RAID as that is safe enough. All this is sort of a series of choices but so far this is working well for me but who knows, I may change in a week (or less). Thanks for the comment.

Makes sense. I could go your route then except for I want my music backed up.

Andne    13
Andne

My approach is a little simpler, granted, I'm dealing with an HP Microserver, so I only have 4 drive bays available to use. I also have SBS-E (Aurora) on the server, so it's more for data than for media. My HTPC box gets to host the media (Movies and such) and share it to the network. I don't have enough upstream bandwidth to make use of WHS's media streaming functions, so it seemed a reasonable to trade to gain the control over my computers that a domain can provide. Anyways, here's my setup:

160GB HDD - came with the server, so may as well use it

- 60GB - OS, Programs

- 100GB - Some data, mostly used for non-file server functions (Source Control Repos)

2x1TB Mirrored HDD - WD Green Drives, 1 EARS, 1 EADS (this is why you don't buy retail drives)

- 1TB - Software, Documents, Pictures, etc...

2TB External HDD

- 2TB - Backups for all drives.

I still have a spare bay, so I'm thinking about getting a 3rd drive and turning the mirror into a RAID-5. One thought I had that I have tried out is that in using RAID, I may be able to enable a functionality similar to drive extender. It would take some time to finish the process, but I think I should be able to remove one drive, replace it with a larger one, rebuild the array, then remove the other drive, replace it, and rebuild again to get a larger array. One last note, I'm using the RAID functionality in disk management to control the mirror. I think I could control it through the BIOS, but I have better visibility to it from the OS, and it seems like performance of a OS-level vs. motherboard-level solution is going to be pretty similar.

Sorry I don't have a fancy picture like pcdoc does.

Neophyte    0
Neophyte

After posting a few questions in the forums and getting a lot of great feedback from everyone, I think I have my plan now.

In my Lian Li PC-Q08 with six 3.5" bays and one 5.25":

1. Use two 2.5" drives in the Icy Dock RAID case for OS and mount that in the 5.25 bay.

2. Then have two 1 TB WD drives in mirror for my music, pictures, and documents. (controlled by OS)

3. Then use four 2T WD drives in a RAID5 (with a hardware card) for my ripped movies and home videos.

Not very different from pcdoc. A little expensive for start up, but that will do me for several years. I'll start saving now until new Sandy Bridge mobos and WHS2011 RTM are available, then get the drives, card, and Icy Dock case.

Edited by Neophyte

pcdoc    107
pcdoc

After posting a few questions in the forums and getting a lot of great feedback from everyone, I think I have my plan now.

In my Lian Li PC-Q08 with six 3.5" bays and one 5.25":

1. Use two 2.5" drives in the Icy Dock RAID case for OS and mount that in the 5.25 bay.

2. Then have two 1 TB WD drives in mirror for my music, pictures, and documents. (controlled by OS)

3. Then use four 2T WD drives in a RAID5 (with a hardware card) for my ripped movies and home videos.

Not very different from pcdoc. A little expensive for start up, but that will do me for several years. I'll start saving now until new Sandy Bridge mobos and WHS2011 RTM are available, then get the drives, card, and Icy Dock case.

That will make a great power packed small server. Nice

ImTheTypeOfGuy    31
ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone thought much about how they will manage add-ins. I never liked putting add-ins on my OS. Various reasons, bugs, heavy, etc. So I am thinking of running a hosted version of v2 on top of v2. The hosted vm will be just for add-ins.

pcdoc    107
pcdoc

Interesting approach. Let me know how that goes. I do not like addins either. I only want 2. Keepvault, and some AV program that does not crash my system. Simple needs... I will then settle for speed and storage...