RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New Build - Advice Needed

gu33mis

I'm hoping to pull the trigger on my first Microserver Gen10+ within the next week or two, but before I do that I was wondering if I could get some advice from anyone who may be running similar configuration or achieved what I'm hoping to.

This is what I'm looking to purchase:

- HPE SKU #P16005-421 - Basic model with Intel Pentium G5420

- HPE SKU #P13788-B21 - HPE iLO Enablement Kit

- 2x Samsung M391A4G43MB1-CTD DDR4 Server RAM, PC4-21300 (2666), ECC, CAS 17, Dual Rank, 1.2V

- Intel Xeon E-2246G

I already have 4x WD RED NAD 3.5' HDDs which I'm hoping to use in the server, but in addition to those I would like to add a hardware RAID card and (somehow!) add two more 2.5' SSD drives. The idea is to run RAID1 on 2x SSD drives and have it as a system drive running ESXi and the remaining 4x drives would be presented to one of the VMs as RAID5.

Questions that I have:

- Is it possible to get power for two additional 2.5' from somewhere in the Microserver Gen10+ server?

- Is there enough room to squeeze two more 2.5' inside, somewhere...?

- Would I be better off dropping the idea with the hardware RAID card, using NVMe PCI card instead of 2.x SSD, presenting 4x SATA drives to the guest VM and then using software RAID inside the VM?

I’d be very surprised if you could fit additional SSDs in there, there is next to no room left for anything in these (they are after all half the size of the older models). I’d personally recommend you go down the NVMe route, I have an NVMe card in my main Gen10+, however its worth noting these cards (and the NVMes) typically produce a good amount of heat which can cause problems depending on your climate / time of year, again, the compact design of the case doesn’t help here, i have to run USB powered fans to keep mine cool.  

Edited by GarethC