MauriceGee

Hi all,

My current server has been upgraded to the max:

Microserver Gen8

16GB RAM

E3-1265Lv2

SSD / 2x WD Red

P420 RAID controller

I want to expand beyond the 16GB and 4 core limit of the MS Gen8, but the ML350 has a too big footprint.

ideally I'm looking at 64GB and 6 or 8 cores.

Any advise you can give me?

Would the ML10/ML30/ML110/ML310 accommodate?

Thanks!

I ended up building my own server after the GEn9 never arrived and the original Gen10 was a let down.

iTX and a Node 304 case is where I'm at now.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, Trig0r said:

I ended up building my own server after the GEn9 never arrived and the original Gen10 was a let down.

I don't get the love the Gen x hp microservers get on this forum as a homeserver.   especially when there are much better off the shelf and roll your own options out there

What software platform did you end up with?

• Haha 1

I started with the Gen 7, cheap box did the job, the Gen 8 was worlds better, then, HP just decided that they wouldn't bother..

I'm on Windows 10, I was on Server 2012, then 2016, but decided for my actual needs Windows 10 was good enough.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, Trig0r said:

What are the specs of your current system?

Processor, mobo etc

Aorus x570 Pro Wifi iTX AM4 board

Ryzen 5 3400G

32Gb DDR4-3200

256Gb Samsung Nvme Boot Drive

512Gb Samsung Nvme VM Storage Drive

1x 4Tb Seagate, 2x 6Tb Western Digital, 1x 8Tb Western Digital data drives all stuck together using Stablebits Drivepool and monitored with Stablebit Scanner.

Running Windows 10 Pro with the Hyper-V featured on there running 5 VM's for various things.

• Like 1

I went from two similar spec Gen8s to two Gen10+ running 64GB, 6 Core Xeon, 2 x 6TB WDs, 2 x SSDs & 2 x NVMe SSDs.  Sure, the newer Microservers aren’t cheap, but for me they are low power consumption, low noise, low footprint which in a home office is pretty important. I can be confident in running the Windows Server OS on them without any driver issues etc. I don’t believe you can migrate VMs directly in Hyper-V from a Windows 10 machine, but i can happily migrate using Hyper-V migration between the two machines.

Edited by GarethC
  • Like 1

My VM's came straight from the 2012 install to the 2016 and then to the Windows 10 install, export/import has worked fine.

Yes, export/import does work fine. But Hyper-V migration is seamless and works brilliantly between machines, unfortunately it can’t be done if the host is Windows 10/11. 

Edited by GarethC