RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Paul Thurrot WHS 2011 Article

Lurker

Well I agree it's about perspective, and that was mine, based on my requirements and my usage. I'm an average user who doesn't want to custom build a storage layer, but still would like the flexibility to expand easily when needed and not have to pay a lot in setup costs. I stand by that, and I won't make any excuses for it. There comes a time in a person's life when there are more important things to do than spend all night elbow-deep in a PC case, and that time has come for me.

Anyway, each to his own, and v2 just isn't for me.

Good point...I actually enjoy the time inside a computer case and just yesterday I worked with my 9 year old son using old computer equitpment to put together a WHS 2011 test build. I'm still not sure which way I will go but it was a good experience for my son...he was very interested in what made a computer work and felt really important when hooked a antistatic strap to him and let him connect the parts of the computer. His eyes lit up when he started the WHS for the first time and saw everything work.

Tim

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• JediTim

Pretty sure I've been saying this publicly since I was on HSS #114 as well as #124 & #125, in any BYOB podcast, as well as in these forums.

hmmmm....maybe I should be Paul's Co-Host on WW dry.gif

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no opinion is more "right" than anyone elses.

For me, I keep coming back to the question: "What does WHS v2 do for me that v1 does not?" At this time, very little. At this time, all the media stuff is cool, but would go unused by me. I hear it's faster but right now I'm not seeing the need. The only real thing it offers of interest is archival backups and 64-bit/current hardware support. The downside is a complex storage pool which does not override the pluses. But, as of today, v1 supports all I need to do.

So, WHS2011 is NOT your only choice for a home server. V1 is still around and will continue to be used in my home for the foreseeable future. The fact I don't need to think about the storage pool makes it a no-brainer. I might build a 2011 box in the next couple years, but I don't see myself moving over and turning off the v1.

Keith

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and no opinion is more "right" than anyone elses.

For me, I keep coming back to the question: "What does WHS v2 do for me that v1 does not?" At this time, very little. At this time, all the media stuff is cool, but would go unused by me. I hear it's faster but right now I'm not seeing the need. The only real thing it offers of interest is archival backups and 64-bit/current hardware support. The downside is a complex storage pool which does not override the pluses. But, as of today, v1 supports all I need to do.

So, WHS2011 is NOT your only choice for a home server. V1 is still around and will continue to be used in my home for the foreseeable future. The fact I don't need to think about the storage pool makes it a no-brainer. I might build a 2011 box in the next couple years, but I don't see myself moving over and turning off the v1.

Keith

The only thing it offers is sstreaming within your network to eliminate the DE issue with media streaming othewise you are correct. For basic backup and storage needs V1 is just as good and will be around for awhile. Wehn you get into streaming movies different story. As I stated, it is not for everybody and I still really like V1 for those solutions and still recommend them to others. Point well taken and we will see happens in the future.

Probably not the best topic for my first post, but I just get a feeling that this is a big sell job by Microsoft. When 2011 was first announced without DE, almost everyone spoke negatively about it. Then Microsoft reacted and suddenly everyone associated with Microsoft (yes, even the MVP's) did a 180 and said that 2011 was great and even better without DE. Not trying to stir up trouble, but it just seems that 2011 WHS = Windows ME....

Guest no-control

So, WHS2011 is NOT your only choice for a home server.

Your quoting me so I don't know if this is directed at what I said or Paul or just a statement, but I never said it was your only choice. I pointed out if 2011 isn't for you you have a bunch of choices. V1, Drobo, NAS, Windows 7, etc...

When 2011 was first announced without DE, almost everyone spoke negatively about it. Then Microsoft reacted and suddenly everyone associated with Microsoft (yes, even the MVP's) did a 180 and said that 2011 was great and even better without DE. Not trying to stir up trouble, but it just seems that 2011 WHS = Windows ME....

Nope I've pretty much be lauding their decision since the announcement. Just seems a lot of the emotion over it has cleared and not some logical rational thinking has occurred. Those who have seen the new product for what it is and are making use of it, and voicing their opinion which may in fact be a 180 from their original position nothing wrong with that. Then there are those who prefer the old product. Nothing wrong with that either, keep using the old product it works well and if the new one offers no improvement for you.

My 2 cents and only post on this. Most everyone here in this forum is not your "typical" home user so I think that's where a lot of the discussion about DE (good, bad, or indifferent) comes from.

Your typical Home user will not probably have over 2TB of any one type of data (video, music, etc) and the use of dedicated drives within the server will not bother them at all. Secondly, most typical users have never heard of Windows Home Server so have no opinion of Drive Extender. Most just want their data backed up safely and reliably. The added benefit of accessing that same data remotely is and added benefit.

In my opinion, it is probably a good thing that DE was pulled because it makes it easier for Microsoft to support the product rather than dropping it all together. I mean, its not like WHS is the biggest selling SKU they have, probably the other.

I like both products and see the benefits of each.