RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Paul Thurrot WHS 2011 Article

Lurker

Pretty sure I've been saying this publicly since I was on HSS #114 as well as #124 & #125, in any BYOB podcast, as well as in these forums.

hmmmm....maybe I should be Paul's Co-Host on WW dry.gif

Maybe you, are where he got his info.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• JediTim

Pretty sure I've been saying this publicly since I was on HSS #114 as well as #124 & #125, in any BYOB podcast, as well as in these forums.

hmmmm....maybe I should be Paul's Co-Host on WW dry.gif

Same here, well with the exception of being ON the show. I liked this quote from his article.

(For readers of this site who are current WHS users, there is of course another possibility: You can simply continue using the current version of the product, which does offer Drive Extender capabilities. I can't do this, personally, if only because of what I do for a living. For me, recommending or using WHS means the latest product version, WHS 2011, or going with something else entirely.)

I felt the same way as everyone else that uses WHS and recommended WHS to other people. I am currently testing WHS 2011 and I am understanding why people are changing their minds. There are pluses and minuses to WHS 2011 that have been discussed in this and other fourms. Paul and other people who support WHS have come to the conclusion that Mirosoft will not change their mind about adding DE to WHS 2011. Rather than bash WHS 2011, Paul and other people who support WHS took another look and found benifits to WHS 2011. Another thing to keep in mind if too many people talk about what WHS 2011 does not have and focus on the negatives, Microsoft could pull the plug on WHS altogether.

Just my $0.02.

I finally installed WHS 2011 on an old MB and hardware...gonna see how it works out. This will determine if I do a rebuild of the WHS V1 or a new build of WHS 2011...I am currently leaning towards WHS 2011.

Personally I found myself feeling the same way as Paul and many others in the beginning. I fought the loss of DE, I held off the switch as I did not want to mess with RAID or separate drives, and now I am full steam ahead and do not want to go back. V1 had weaknesses too especially if your streaming media. As a matter of fact all my data has been ported to the new version already and I am using it for my day to day activities. I urge you all to try it for yourselves, work with it strenghts and work around its weaknesses just as we did in V1 and make up your own mind. I am sure that after you use if for awhile you will find yourself feeling the same as many and come to the conclusion that the new version is not perfect, but it is definetly a step forward, and the strenghts outway the weaknesses. Just my thoughts after using it for a while now.

Another thing to keep in mind if too many people talk about what WHS 2011 does not have and focus on the negatives, Microsoft could pull the plug on WHS altogether.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. I am seeing pretty much the same thing everywhere that everyone is just afraid WHS will go away and so they avoid saying bad things about it. But frankly, it's the sales numbers that will tell the tale at the end of the day, and it doesn't matter what anyone says (or doesn't say) if it doesn't sell.

Personally, I still haven't changed my mind about v2 without DE. There are pros and cons sure, but most of the pros are in performance and media features. To be honest, that's not why I went into WHS in the first place, and to me, the mission creep has now brought it well outside my desired role. Sure I could use the good stuff and supplement the bad stuff with some other solution, but still can't justify why I would want to go to all that hassle when v1 just works.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but there's nobody else saying it, so I am going to do it just to register a negative data point. All is not well with WHS, at least not for me.

Guest no-control

There are negatives to both v1 and 2011. It really just depends on what the negatives are and how they affect how you want to use it. If you're looking for a dead simple storage and fault tolerance without needing to know what's happening on the inside of a pc much less the o/s. Then things like WHSv1, Drobo, and nix based NAS boxes are going to be more your style. If you prefer to have a server serve the home, by providing one stop streaming, backup, file storage, home automation, application support, etc... Then 2011 will ring your bell more. Too many take it as black or white and its not. The loss of DE is no different than the loss of classic desktop theme a feature. How useful it was to you is a matter of perspective. My 80 y/o Grandmother would be just as outraged and dismayed by the loss of classic desktop in Windows 7.

Lets keep it in perspective.

Well I agree it's about perspective, and that was mine, based on my requirements and my usage. I'm an average user who doesn't want to custom build a storage layer, but still would like the flexibility to expand easily when needed and not have to pay a lot in setup costs. I stand by that, and I won't make any excuses for it. There comes a time in a person's life when there are more important things to do than spend all night elbow-deep in a PC case, and that time has come for me.

Anyway, each to his own, and v2 just isn't for me.

There comes a time in a person's life when there are more important things to do than spend all night elbow-deep in a PC case, and that time has come for me.

Anyway, each to his own, and v2 just isn't for me.

Well said.