RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 Difficulty

jvk

I was moving a printer next to my WHS 2011 test box and I accidently unplugged the power cable. Now when I turn on the server, the clock always resets itself to 1/1/2002 which breaks the auto update checking. I change the clock back and that fixes the check for updates from windows process, however the dashboard will no longer launch while Remote desk-toping into the server. I tried to install the client software on my laptop to see if I could launch the Dashboard from there and that fails since it can not find my server. has anyone else experienced this or do you think I FUBARED my WHS 2011 installation and should re-install the OS? I can launch every other application I have tried in WHS 2011, just not the dashboard... bummer

Thanks,

jvk

That sounds like you have a dead CMOS battery on the motherboard. Boot into the BIOS and change the date.

Thanks, that fixed my date time issue. I'll have to change the battery so I don't have to re-enter BIOS to update the time, Thanks!

I still can not launch the dashboard... I even tried using the Safemode of the Dashboard where you can enable and disable different components and no luck, still won't open up. Next I tried to defrag the drives and that didn't work either. I wonder why the dashboard won't open?

jvk

The time and date stamp issue with those may be the underlying cause. If you can RDP into the server, I would remove the client and then add it back in.

I can RDP into the server, however there are no clients connected to the server. Adding or removing a client would require me being able to open up the dashboard which I can not do right now for some reason. I just submitted a bug report on the Connect site in case they might have any suggestions.

Here is the link to the bug report in case anyone is curious...

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/645584/dashboard-will-not-launch

Yeh, I would do a server recovery if you have a backup or a re-install if you dont. At least it will not touch your data.