Neophyte

Using PCIe x4 card in PCIe x16 slot

10 posts in this topic

I am looking to use a hardware RAID controller card like the one pcdoc has tested (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115096) for a WHS2011 build.

I have seen that PCIe x4 can be used in x4, x8, and x16 slots, but run at the x4 speed. If my motherboard only has a x16 slot, is there anything else to be concerned about running this card in a higher number slot?

Nope, you are completely fine.

Verify your motherboard's x16 slot is a true pcie slot. Older boards made that slot a video-card only slot. If the board has onboard video, you may also find that the video is deactivated when a card is installed in that x16 slot.

What board do you have?

I am looking to use a hardware RAID controller card like the one pcdoc has tested (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115096) for a WHS2011 build.

I have seen that PCIe x4 can be used in x4, x8, and x16 slots, but run at the x4 speed. If my motherboard only has a x16 slot, is there anything else to be concerned about running this card in a higher number slot?

I have mine running in a x16 slot on both servers without any issues so you should be OK. Mrossco is correct but that is mainly is lower cost boards and have not seen in current main stream boards. WHat board do you have? As he stated you can check you MFG web site for more information or just give it a try. You should know right away as you will not see the car BIOS screen when you boot.

I actually will be buying a new motherboard. I may be using a mITX board and some of them only have one x16 slot (perhaps waiting for Sandy Bridge issues to be resolved). Thanks for all of your help.

You might want to rethink that idea of a mATX or mini-ITX board purely for more slots.

You might want to rethink that idea of a mATX or mini-ITX board purely for more slots.

It will have to fit in a Lian Li PC-Q08

That case only holds ITX boards (Used in Project: BIOS DURRR) and with the RAID card he referenced is maxed out at 8 drives. I was barely able to get 7 in that case and it was way too tight. Unless he needed an additional NIC (4 WHS? blink.gif) He should be good.

That's a good point. No sense in having more than the case can hold, except for future planning.

Yep, it should be plenty. Six 3.5" bays and one 5.25". I think my plan is to use two 2.5" drives in the Icy Dock RAID case and mount that in the 5.25 bay. Then have two 1 TB WD drives in mirror for my music, pictures, and documents. Then use four 2T WD drives in a RAID5 (with the hardware card) for my ripped movies and home videos. That will do me for several years.

Thanks for the feedback.